1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam pullet eggs?UPDATE: shes laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 19, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i have a bantam cochin who will (hopefully) be laying in the next month, maybe longer. i know that pullet eggs are very tiny with large egg laying breeds - but how small is a pullet bantam egg?! is it microscopic? if you had a picture that would be great - i just dont want to get my hopes up for a bigger egg that i'll actually be getting.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. ChickyGal

ChickyGal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi, my bantam Cochin just started laying a few weeks ago and she has been laying normal size bantam eggs from the start. I too thought they would be extremely small but they were not, just normal bantam size. And she is already broody! Poor thing is determined to be a mom. She is so sweet. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My little Bantam Cochin Frizzle hens are 1 1/2 yrs old....let me think back....Hmmm...I am pretty sure they layed just about the same size as they do now. I have 2 more hens....about 12 weeks old. Should be laying soon!

4. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    OMG! i went and got my hair cut with my mom, and before we left i went to get the chickens out of the coop. i saw fajita (my bantam) in the nesting box, i lifted her up, and no egg, so i shoved her out the door (i hate her habbit of sleepin in therE!) i then brought their feeders outside to their run, and there one was! a itty bitty bantam egg!! i ran in excitement and put it in the fridge! my mom thought i was crazy [​IMG] just now when i got home, they flew their run, so i searched the yard for eggs, i went into their coop, and on the floor was a broken egg [​IMG] i felt bad for pushing her out of the nesting box, and this is the price i had to pay. 2 eggs in 2 days!! she is on a role! her broken egg, was a tad bit bigger than her first egg, and the yok (which was broken) had a blood spot in it? i only have 2 chickens, hopefully my EE isnt a roo. is that normal for pullets? blood spot in yolk? anyways - i took pics! i was really excited - i started dancing. I AM SOO PROUD OF HER! 2 eggs in a row! i really wasnt expecting her to do it this quickly - her comb is still small!

this is a pic of my fajita - who laid the eggs!!
    [​IMG]
    this is the egg that i found this morning - which was laid yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    the broken egg i found when i got home (its gone now - my dog ate it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the size difference between the first egg, and the second egg (which broke [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    and the difference between the eggs from the store and the 2 eggs she laid!
    [​IMG]

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats!! Sry the other was broken..but now she is getting into laying....enjoy!!

6. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    thanks! i am really excited. instead of going to the store and buying golf balls so that she lays in the nesting boxes (to be honest i wasnt that prepared because i didnt expect this until another few weeks) i am using puff balls (egg sized) from our oak trees!

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Grats on the Eggs Rosey.
    Woot!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That's really cool!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Rosy, dont worry about that blood spot-it has nothing to do with fertilization and is common in brand new layers.

10. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    found 2 eggs this morning! one must be from yesterday, because it was in her run, the other was in her coop and from today, they are much bigger that her first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by