Bantam Pullet...update...What cross is she? Silkie cross?

I'd say she's a mix of mixes. Maybe like silkie x Flower cross crossed to something else. She's a cutie whatever she is.

I'd say she's a mix of mixes. Maybe like silkie x Flower cross crossed to something else. She's a cutie whatever she is.
Thanks....Alice is Alice....I do not care what she is but a bit of a wonder when he says Silkie cross and nothing on her shows anything Silkie at all, besides her Broodiness...

Thanks so Much..

Cheers!

I agree with the idea of this being a silkie cross being unlikely. Silkie cross or mix(2 generations or more) bred with basically a "typical" chicken easily could produce something like her.

Other possibility- since flower hens is known to be present, she could easily pass for a flower hen cross- would explain the crest and her coloring very well(if that makes sense), the problem is what could give those short legs.. are her legs really short? If you know if the person has Japanese/Chabo or Scots Dumpy, that seems a plausible cross...

I agree with the idea of this being a silkie cross being unlikely. Silkie cross or mix(2 generations or more) bred with basically a "typical" chicken easily could produce something like her.

Other possibility- since flower hens is known to be present, she could easily pass for a flower hen cross- would explain the crest and her coloring very well(if that makes sense), the problem is what could give those short legs.. are her legs really short? If you know if the person has Japanese/Chabo or Scots Dumpy, that seems a plausible cross...
First Bantam I ever had....The colour and the crest does lean me towards the Flower Hen....But being he never had a Rooster I know she is a cross...He wont admit to the Flower cross at all...He is a Bugger....
Her legs are not short...She is built like a Roadrunner...lol...

Thanks, very informative....

Cheers!

Haha allright so it was just the picture making her legs look short.

If you told me she was a flower cross, I'd have believed it without question.

Back to the silkie cross idea, if this hen is bred to a silkie roo and produces half silky feathered chicks, that is proof she really is at least a silkie mix.. (still skeptical of being a first generation cross though!)

If she never produces any silkie feathered offspring despite breedings with silkie roosters, then that is absolute proof she is not half silkie. No way around it. People get really defensive though, and try to throw all sorts of things as answers like "throw back" or whatever instead of just graciously accepting maybe they were wrong.. I'll never understand people who regard being wrong as such a horrible thing.

Haha allright so it was just the picture making her legs look short.

If you told me she was a flower cross, I'd have believed it without question.

Back to the silkie cross idea, if this hen is bred to a silkie roo and produces half silky feathered chicks, that is proof she really is at least a silkie mix.. (still skeptical of being a first generation cross though!)

If she never produces any silkie feathered offspring despite breedings with silkie roosters, then that is absolute proof she is not half silkie. No way around it. People get really defensive though, and try to throw all sorts of things as answers like "throw back" or whatever instead of just graciously accepting maybe they were wrong.. I'll never understand people who regard being wrong as such a horrible thing.
Haha!! I agree totally....If I am wrong shame on me, If I am right? Shame on you for arguing...That is how I roll...I have no way of ever knowing? I do not have a Silkie Roo....I have a Docile Monster Roo...Brahma/ Ameruacana...Not EE....He can not catch Alice so zero worries about him injuring her...lol.....
She is Broody right now and is in a metal crate with a wired bottom, elevated off the ground...This also is a first for me...Dealing with a 23 week old Broody Pullet....Bantams? Or just silly Alice? I think Bantams....

Cheers!

Haha!! I agree totally....If I am wrong shame on me, If I am right? Shame on you for arguing...That is how I roll...I have no way of ever knowing? I do not have a Silkie Roo....I have a Docile Monster Roo...Brahma/ Ameruacana...Not EE....He can not catch Alice so zero worries about him injuring her...lol.....
She is Broody right now and is in a metal crate with a wired bottom, elevated off the ground...This also is a first for me...Dealing with a 23 week old Broody Pullet....Bantams? Or just silly Alice? I think Bantams....

Cheers!

I like how you think!

Broodiness is rather common to bantams but it is also common in crosses of almost any sort- it can show up in a cross of two non-broody breeds, so not exactly an strong indicator of anything. It's all under hormonal control, so her silliness is not her own fault haha

Back
Top Bottom