Bantam questions from newbie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smiley, Nov 2, 2010.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    I am thinking of getting some bantams this year for the very first time. But, I do have some questions!!

In general, how many bantams will equal a buff orpington in space? For instance, if I have 4 buff orpingtons than how many bantams could I get to equal the space they took up if I placed the buff orpingtons?

Also, I am looking at these breeds: silkies, buff brahma, barred plymouth rock, easter egger, wyandotte, and frizzled cochin.

Out of these breeds what would be your top two breeds for:

1) Not flying out of the run as my chicken fence is only 4' high

2) Being hardy in winter/northeast without needing to be pampered

3) Laying a minimum of 2 eggs a week (egg laying is important and we need at least 6 eggs a week total from our flock-how many bantams would I need to get this number)

4) Being able to raise a batch of chicks

5) Being good free range foragers as I have a large grass run

6) Being gentle with kids

Thank you in advance for any advice or opinions!!!

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:d'Uccles, depending on where you live and what breeders and hatcheries lie around you, you can get some real nice and rare colourations. Like golden neck... [​IMG]

Though the flying out can always be a trouble, I have a very flighty chicken but she doesn't bother to jump the run. So it depends.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I've got a Silkie and three bantam Cochin Frizzles who fit all of your listed preferences. I can recommend both breeds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Firearia

Quote:I forgot about Cochins and Silkies didn't I... Oops. All three are really nice bantams.

5. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Thank you, both!

Adozengirlz- beautiful birds!

However, do the cochins fly over the fence? I plan on getting a corgi herding dog and that is NOT a good mix so I need bantams that stay put! I have always held off getting bantams because everyone told me that they roost in trees....yikes!!!

How many eggs do you guys get from your girls?

6. Firearia

Quote:Cochins no, too heavy! [​IMG] They're awesome, I think you should get those. [​IMG]
    Oh and I've never owned any d'Uccles, however my friend has and I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm pretty sure it's around 2-3 eggs a week for the d'Uccles, however I'm not quite positive.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    You'll need to factor in the smaller egg size for bantams. So if you want 6 standard (large) sized eggs, you'll probably need 12 bantam eggs per week. That shouldn't be hard to do with 8 or so bantams. I'm guessing you would have 8 bantams because in general you can have 2 bantams in the same space as 1 standard. Most bantams are able to fly pretty high - a four foot fence might not do it. Could you cover your chicken run?

8. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Firearia,

Oh, so the bantam cochins are too heavy to fly? That's great to know!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I just googled the breed you mentioned, the belgian d'uccle, and they are quite beautiful birds!!! I wonder if they tend to fly a lot......

9. Firearia

Quote:Yes, the d'Uccles are rather flighty.

The Cochins run really slow too, it's so funny! [​IMG]

10. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Quote:Yes, I was thinking somewhere between 6-12 but I didn't know the size equivalency.

No, I can't cover the run it is too large like 30 x 90. :-(

But, a poster just said that the cochins don't fly. I have heard the silkies can't fly.

So, I now I need to find out if the barred rock bantams, wyandottes, easter eggers, brahmas, and belgian d'uccle birds are good flyers who fly out.

Do silkies and cochin lay well?

Any other input on these breeds from anyone would be great!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by