1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam questions????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenboy7c2d, Nov 19, 2010.

1. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    So, I'm thinking of getting 4 ducks in a 12 chicken coop. I'm just wondering if bantams can be kept in the same house as them and then let them and the ducks free range with my large fowl?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It is not recommended to keep waterfowl and chickens together. The ducks/geese tend to make a mess out of their pen, no matter how clean you try to keep it. It causes problems (diseases, illness, foot problems) with the chickens. Plus, some ducks tend to rather mean to chickens when it comes to feeding time.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read on here that drakes can be really bad when trying to mate with chickens- do a search on BYC for this if you wish. I have no personal experience with ducks.

4. chickenboy7c2d

chickenboy7c2d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Surrey, England, UK
    When you say, 'some ducks tend to be rather mean to chickens', does that include runner ducks which i heard are really friendly? and my feeder and drinker are out in the large run, will they still be mean?

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I would not keep them together ducks are dirty. and nThey can be agressive with smaller animals

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by