Bantam & Regular Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jamieneenah, May 19, 2009.

1. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    HI;

I am trying to introduce some Adult (or close to) Bantam hens (one is currently laying) to my coop that has 5 de-beaked adult hens in it. The adult hens are about 6 months old.

I currently have it setup so the full size hens are kept in one side and can't get out, but the bantams can sneak over there. The bantams all get along with eachother, but the adult full size hens just pecks at the adult bantams.

So is there any hope of getting the bantams hens and full size hens to live together?

Thanks
    Jamie

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep, they will eventually live in harmony. There will always be the occasional peck to keep the lower hens in their proper place and maybe the occasionally fight, but hen fights generally don't last long.
    You didn't say how long they have been in the current situation but leave it like it is for a another week and then let them in together. You will have fights as they sort out the pecking order but nothing terrible.
    Heck (after a quarantine period) I introduce adult hens into the coop in the middile of the night. Like I said there will be some fighting but just watch closely to make sure nothing gets out of hand.
    Roosters now that's a whole other story.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes got to agree with all that.. I have bantams and regular sized chooks together.

4. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    HI;

They have only been in the coop(with the barrier setup) 2 days so far. Thank you for the information, I am very please to know that they will eventually all be able to be together. I was dreading having to maintain separate space for all of them. I will give them another 5 days before I let them all together.

Thanks
    Jamie

5. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    We have one little bantam with all our big chickens and she does just fine. She is even high up in the pecking order which we didn't expect at all. She holds her own! She can stare down the big hens like crazy! [​IMG]

6. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    I have heard that putting the new ones in with the old ones at night, when they are all roosting is a good way to go. Also distracting them with stuff to keep the older ones busy on the first day or so-like hanging a cabbage up for them to peck at. My chickens love when I hang half an apple on a piece of wire (i use a cut up old wire coathanger). They peck at it for hours-its so funny to watch them trying to peck at it as it swings around! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by