Bantam respiratory illness..help!

emmyn74

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Spencer Indiana
I kept some chicks for my aunt while she was in hospital..after i had them about a week i noticed one of MY speckled sussex bantams sneezing. I put some vet Rx on her beak and started her on a probiotic.. a couple days later..three were sneezing...the day after..all of my chickens were sneezing and sounding like they had liquid stuck in their airway when breathing....I started them on oxytetracycline when the three started sneezing..after 4 days..no improvement.. all of my chickens are infected with this now..I decided to go get some tylan 50 and get them started on it..the chicks I was holding for my aunt are not showing any signs of being sick..but the person she got them from said yesterday that she lost 8 chicks in three days!!!!...I started Friday night on the tylan 50 twice a day and they seemed to be getting worse! I figured this was because of the shock of the strong antibiotic....but they have been on the antibiotic now since Friday night and still sound like they have a lot of liquid in their airways when breathing..three of them have started closing their eyes and sitting there w their mouths open...it has now spread to my silkies and I am treating them...she picked up her chickens over the weekend so I only have my chickens again ..I do have one pen of large new Hampshire's that are still not effected as of right now. What else can I do? Why does the tylan not seem to be working? They are also starting to have a yellowish diarrhea but I thought that may be from the antibiotics? I don't want to lose my whole flock as these are my show chickens!!! What else can I do? I am still using vet Rx on their beaks to help with breathing..I don't see anything inside their mouth...anyone????? I know that I never will again offer to keep someone's chickens until they can come get them...ever...

Last edited:
Here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_20180518_213054.jpg
    IMG_20180518_213054.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20180519_100313.jpg
    IMG_20180519_100313.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 9
Infectious Bronchitis and Newcastle disease are common diseases of the respitory tract and because these are viral diseases no Antibiotic is in the least bit effective at treating Newcastle and Bronchitis.
Excuse me DOCTOR but last time I checked, Oregano oil is one of the strongest natural antibiotics on the planet. Its incredible antioxidant capacity makes it the go-to solution for flu prevention and natural bronchitis treatment. ... You can take oregano oil in capsule form (250 milligrams 2 times per day until symptoms subside) or liquid form.

Excuse me DOCTOR but last time I checked, Oregano oil is one of the strongest natural antibiotics on the planet. Its incredible antioxidant capacity makes it the go-to solution for flu prevention and natural bronchitis treatment. ... You can take oregano oil in capsule form (250 milligrams 2 times per day until symptoms subside) or liquid form.

250 milligram is the human dosage. I only use the liquid form for my chickens, a few drops in the water

I'm sorry your chickens are not doing well.
What dosage of Tylan50 are you using and how are you administering it?

If after giving the correct dosage and duration of antibiotics you are not seeing improvement then you are likely dealing with a respiratory virus like Infectious Bronchitis. Antibiotics will only treat secondary infections, so viral diseases have to run their course.

The loose droppings can be from medication and illness, but getting a fecal float is always a good idea.

If you happen to lose one, sending the body to your State Lab will give you more information about what you are dealing with. There are numerous respiratory illnesses that affect chickens you can read more about them here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I know this must be very frustrating and disheartening. Hopefully your birds will make a full recovery. Just keep in mind that respiratory illnesses make birds carriers, even when recovered and showing no symptoms, they can still pass this along to other birds (as you have unfortunately found out). Respiratory diseases also impact egg production/quality and the reproductive tract.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom