Bantam RIR over Barred Bantam

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cynthia Burbine, May 23, 2019.

1. cynthia Burbine

cynthia Burbine Songster

Apr 23, 2013
    Raeford, NC
    Does anyone know what color of chicks you would get using a RIR bantam over a barred bantam?

My barred bantam just hatched chicks, 3 to be exact. She was over a LF BO (not on purpose) she hatched out 3 chicks, all with gold faces. I know they are sexlink and are all pullets.

I was talking to my friend who has a bantam RIR and offered him to use. I cant seem to find any threads about this mix. I like the way the BO x barred should turn out.
    Anyone working on the RIR over barred? Please post pictures, I would love to see how the chicks look and would turn out.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Red roo with barred hen will be black sex link chicks... I believe. Pullets will be solid black and stay that way and cockerels will hatch black with a white dot on their head and they will grow up to be barred. Here is a fun little toy..
    http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

The second drop down tab is in English.

In these discussions... I THINK the bird who is "over" is the rooster. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    cynthia Burbine likes this.
  3. cynthia Burbine

cynthia Burbine Songster

Apr 23, 2013
    Raeford, NC

Thank you!!

4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Yes you will be making black sex links. A lot of the hatcheries use RIR or NH red over barred rock hens so Google black sex links and you'll see what you're going to get.
    Roosters will be barred. Hens will be black with various amounts of red leakage on the front half.

cynthia Burbine likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: