Bantam RIR's anyone have any.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantamman13, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I was just wondering if anyone out there has some of these I have the standards and would like to know if the Bantams lay as well and have the great personalities of the standards. If so I would really like to add some to my flock next year. Thanks for any info.[​IMG]

2. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    No one?

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I just lost the only bantam RIR roo I ever had. He was given to us because he was going to be killed if not. Supposedly he attacked children. Never once tried to attack me or anyone else here at the house...however we have no children here. He'd crow when he'd see me, and jump 2-3 ft in the air to "shamu" food out of my hand. He died of old age/mixed with winter temps we believe...i miss the bugger.
    If i find a pic of him i'll add it here

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. bantamman13

May 27, 2008
    Great looking little fellow I want to find a source for some hatching eggs this spring if possible. I think they would look great with my standards.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I'd like to get some more RIR bantams myself if you ever find a supplier let me know! [​IMG]

6. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I show RIR bantams. The hens will lay well in Spring and Summer then slack off as it gets colder. hens can be very broody and Roosters do defend themselves well. They can bite:cd when handled. I sometimes have culls I sell at shows. I really like this breed and have had most of my success with them.

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:there's a guy on e-bay selling mini dome incubators, with 4 bantam rir eggs thrown in. you might contact him to see if he'll just sell you eggs...

8. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a frizzle Rhode Island red bantam. She is so goofy, and will jump straight up in the there for treats, and the way she runs when she comes for treats is sooo hilarious! She just started laying again 3 days ago. Very friendly.

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ha ha i wonder if that's a trait with them!?! My roo did it too (as said above)! I call it the shamu move [​IMG] My roo also had SOME frizzed feathers but they were hard to see.

10. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey all [​IMG]
    Got some RIR bantam rosecomb version if that would interest you Am planning on selling some eggs from them this Spring They arent doing anything yet but maybe they will when the warmer weather comes around

Mike [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by