Bantam Roo and Standard Hens..Will it work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brandyberry_Chick, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    I will be picking up a Bantam (not sure what breed) Roo tomorrow...but I have 6 standard size hens..will this work?! I don't really want babies right now (if we get them that's ok though!) But if he were to breed with my hens what would the outcome be? Can he even breed with my girls?

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    It's hilarious to watch for sure! [​IMG] We have a bantam roo. He actually prefers our "big girls" as we call them. We have seen a few of the large eggs with that bulls eye marking on the yolk...

3. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    OK! Like I said i'm not too worried about getting babies I just wanted to make sure my girls wouldn't pick on him or anything and that he would take care of them like roosters supposedly do....

4. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Our little guy is a great rooster. He doesn't crow a whole lot and he does take great care of all of his girls. I'd be curious to see if one would hatch and how it would turn out. But of the 6 eggs I cracked the other day there was one for sure and one maybe fertile. Those aren't good odds.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If there's a will, there's a way. I'm confident in saying that he will most likely not be successful the first time but give him some time and he'll get the job done. [​IMG] Most of my roosters have been bantams and half of our flock is made up of large fowl hens. I speak from experience when I say you'll be getting alot of bulls-eyes.

Will they pick on him? Probably at first, he'll be henpecked. All of my bantam roos in the past were picked on by at least two big hens each, though they differed and varied from roo to roo and hen to hen. He may only mate with whoever submits to him. If the case is that he is henpecked by everyone, it may take him a bit longer to start mating, or perhaps, he simply won't mate at all for a while. It depends on timing, the animals in question, and how you deal with it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by