bantam roo and standard hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maymay8, Jul 3, 2008.

1. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    [Will this arrangement work? We received four free bantam silkie/cochin mixes. Wonderful birds. So sweet and friendly. One has turned out to be a rooster (as far as we can tell and hear at 5 a.m.) We want to expand our flock, likely with other bantam breeds, but we might receive some full-size hens. Can a bantam roo rule a roost of full-size hens? Anyone have experience with mixing bantams and full-size? Thanks!
    Maggie

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well, I have a silkie rooster that tries really hard but unfortunately he fits right onto the middle of my Buff O's back and doesn't even come close to doing the job properly [​IMG]

3. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    I hope so because I am in a similiar boat. I will have three bantam roosters(silkie and I think OEGB) and a total of 17 standard hens.(comets,californias, and black sex links, BO, australop, americana, white leghorn) I was told that they will ride bareback on the ladies and try like heck but I hope it is possible.

Chris

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yes they can I little oge runs the roost. my standard sumatra rooster is afraid of him. as far as hens my cochin rooster can take care of the standard hens but the Oge tries but just goes for a ride.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    sounds like it depends on the rooster, not his size?

6. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Well I hope my silkie is up to the task. Because I want chicks eventually? What would a silkie crossed with one of my hens look like? Is the bantam gene dominant?

Chris

7. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I have to laugh because my Japanese keeps chasing my lg cochin around trying to mount her. He thinks he's the stud of the coop, his fav is one of my porcelain dutches.

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , I have a full flock of rir's , austrolorps , barred rocks and 4 roosters . Also 1 Old english Bantam Game Hen . 38 NOW .

We are receiving this afternoon the following ,
    10 bantam pullets 3 months old and 1 bantam rooster . We will keep them separated for 30 days . My question is , with bantams and a bantam rooster , will my full size roosters try and breed with the bantams ? I am asking since they will be a smaller size . Could the full size roosters injure the bantams if they breed with them ? Will the full size roosters fight with the smaller bantams , including the bantam Roo ?

PLEASE ADVISE ME .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, your banty hens are in danger of injury or even worse from the standard roos. Sometimes banty roos and standard roos can get along but I wouldn't want to take the chance. The banties need their own coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by