Bantam roo fertilizing eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imfowl, Dec 23, 2008.

1. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    When I cracked my eggs for my omelet this morning, I looked to see if they were fertilized just out of curiosity. [​IMG] According to the pics I saw on here, they seem to all be fertile. The only problem is that my only rooster is a OEG bantam. My hens are RIR, cochin, and black sex link. I just dont see how it is physically possible for that little bitty roo to fertilize those big ol' hens. Or am I just not looking at the yolks right?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, I couldn't say for sure, and you'd have to incubate the eggs to know for sure, but those little guys can usually find a way [​IMG]

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I just couldn't help myself here. Just like people of different sizes . they always find a way:[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    He's a smart little man [​IMG]

If you post a pic of your egg/yolk im sure we can help tell you !!

5. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I will post some pics of the yolks tomorrow. This morning's are already in my belly:drool They just looked to tasty to keep for further examination.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, no matter how unlikely it seems, it is deffinitely possible! My only roo this past summer was a dutch, and I got quite a few fertile eggs from my dad's giant cochin hen! If there's a will, there's a way! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by