bantam roo ID please... v.278907534758923045734

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gumbii, Oct 30, 2010.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have another roo i need ID'd...

um... we just picked him up off this feed store that takes in local breeder's birds... he's gorgeous and healthy and i'm just sad that he isn't mine... LOL... he's also the tiniest of chicken... i'll get another picture of him next to a soda can or something...

pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the coloration of the chest and wings is what trips me out... he's not comfortable to walk around strutting his stuff... but can he be a serama...? he's super small compare to the other OEGB, but still not as big as a roller pigeon... what do you think...?

thanks a million times in advance...

2. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    looks like an oegb to me, maybe wheaten coloring?
    the way his wings are being held remind me of an oegb, but so many birds look similar, so i'm probably wrong

why is he tethered by his ankle, btw? i've never heard of doing that, so i'm jw whats that would be for.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I think he is a Serama - but am not 100% sure - not one of my breeds.

He is adorable, I just love little roos.

4. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:we just put the tether the first couple of days... we don't tie him to anything, just in case he tries to jam or fly up on a wall... it slows him down and gives us somewhere to grab wile chasing him down... after a wile, they don't need it... once they get used to us after a week or so...

i was thinking about serama because there aren't many OEGB that have the jungle fowl coloring on the neck... i don't know what it's called... the red/orange blend... also his chest and wings are mottled brown and stuff... never seen that before on a OEGB... well, that i've seen around here and online...

5. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    Quote:we just put the tether the first couple of days... we don't tie him to anything, just in case he tries to jam or fly up on a wall... it slows him down and gives us somewhere to grab wile chasing him down... after a wile, they don't need it... once they get used to us after a week or so...

i was thinking about serama because there aren't many OEGB that have the jungle fowl coloring on the neck... i don't know what it's called... the red/orange blend... also his chest and wings are mottled brown and stuff... never seen that before on a OEGB... well, that i've seen around here and online...

oh, i see. i'm sorry. i've raised almost all of mine from chicks and free range so i don't have that issue, really. thank you for easing my curiosity, lol

anyway, my oeg black breasted red has the red/orange blend. and i think wheatons do too. i thought wheatons also had speckles on their chest, but after looking them up once more, i was mistaken, my bad.

6. that is no doubt Dutch bantam! its no serama, hes too big, and oegbs have colored ear lobes

7. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    dutch bantam...?

sorry for my newbness, but are those considered OEGB..? and i thought OEGB didn't get the colored ears...?

thx btw...

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Dutch are a different breed from Old English. I agree with Chickenrandomness, that looks like a Dutch.

Not a Serama---his tail is too low and his wings are too high.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is smaller than a roller pigeon, he is not a Dutch. He could be a Serama/Dutch cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by