1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam roo limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cozwurth, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cozwurth

cozwurth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    I noticed my bantam rooster favoring his left foot yesterday, but today I noticed him limping. After my wife and I cornered him in the kennel and caught him we took a good look at his foot. We saw a bloody stump that we first thought was what was left of a toe. He has feathered feet, so it was a little difficult to get a good look at it. Thankfully it is not a toe, they're all intact and look fine. I'm sure that this is a real newby question, but could it be a torn feather? If it is a torn feather, is there anything I can do for him? I'll try to get a good pic of it. When will I be able to post pictures?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

pictures would be more helpful for us [​IMG]

3. cozwurth

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Understood... I'll post one when I can. According to the FAQ newbies like myself can't post pics or links... Are the pics here normally hosted someplace like photobucket and linked in?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have cochin bantams also and yes they can get torn feathers, seems like anything with feet torn nails torn feathers bleeds alot and can make them limp, wash the foot off real good. i even like to soak in epsom salt water to make sure it's good and clean. then look at the foot real good. you can trim feathers if you have too. just becareful not to trim too far in and hit a blood feather, after washing real good and seeing exactly whats going on, put something like neosporin w/o pain relief on it or spray Blue-kote on it or if you have it spray verericyn, and just keep an eye on it for a couple of days to make sure theres no infection. he should heal fine. you might want to keep him up for the night just to make sure the bleeding has stopped and noone is messing with it. and [​IMG]

5. cozwurth

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Thanks, Miss Lydia.
    I'll get it rinsed off good for a better look tomorrow. I kinda hate messing with the little guy right now. He's been through quite a bit over the last several days. He's been chased down, netted, caged, and moved to a completely new area. He did get to free-range most of yesterday and today, so he spent quite a bit of time out in the woods. I didn't have the top on the kennel yet, so they all flew over and 'escaped' within minutes of being moved from the dog crate to the kennel. This evening all four finally went back in the kennel to drink at the same time, so I was able to get them contained again. They all spent a few minutes looking up at the tarp trying to find their way out again. This afternoon he got cornered, caught and examined. I'm sure he's stressed a little.

6. cozwurth

Aug 6, 2011
    Franklin, VA
    Wow... this is a fast moving forum. Less than 12 hours and already down to page 3 on the list... Lots of good info to read.

Anyway, I got another look at my bantams foot today. It is definitely a damaged feather. He's not limping any more, and it seems to have dried and scabbed well. The feather was not torn out, but it does look to have been broken about 1/2 inch from the foot. Will this heal on its own, or should I do something to help it along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by