Bantam Roo needs to have spurs taken out????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenhead, Feb 13, 2011.

1. greenhead

greenhead In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    My daughter has a BB red roo that has spurs about an 1 long. she has a show coming up and i need to remove them? never done this before so any help would be great. i have heard of a hot potato? please give step by step instructions. thank you so much!!

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I don't think you HAVE to remove them? not for showing anyway. If he's a bit dangerous, you can clip the end so it's not sharp.

I have heard of old timers grabbing the spur and twisting it to remove the hard spur leaving behind a bloody stub in which a new spur will grow. ...sounds pretty harsh.. don't know if I would do it unless I had to for some reason...

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Just clip the ends..

Chris

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Agreed, I just clip the sharp tips off like a fingernail and if I can find my big file steel file at the time I'll try to round the ends up but thats not needed really. But removing all together is not necessary.

However I'm guessing your roo is an OE game bantam correct ? If so and it you havent already, their combs are supposed to be dubbed be be able to qualify for a show. I'm not sure if a local show or fair may let it slid or not but in real shows the roo with be DQed if he isnt dubbed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: