Bantam Roo & Standard Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Naamahbengals, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Hi all - any tips to help a short rooster cover a normal-sized hen? I have a Silkie roo and he seems to... well, he jumps up and then rolls off the other side of the bigger hens, lol! Poor guy. Any ideas? Think he'd catch on if I put some low boxes in the coop to make him just a bit taller than the biggest hens?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahahhh, a step stool? i have seen this, i had a bantam game roo that would try with the rir and it would actually climb a ladder and lay in wait for a hen to walk by and JUMP! hahah he was very young . i guess it depends on how ambitious the silkie is. you know, some people can artificially inseminate. good luck [​IMG]

3. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
  5. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    I'll try that, my roo is just under a year so maybe he's determined enough. ;)

6. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    The one that looks more like a pure sultan is smaller than his brother with the big comb and little feathers on his head, (he is still growing) They are both on the smaller side. They were hatched on July 4th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by