Bantam Roo-What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jc12551, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    A lady is offering me this bantam roo. It keeps fighting with her potbellied pig. This pic is just after a fight in which he lost his tail feathers. I don't have one in which he has feathers. I don't know the breed or even if he is pure.

[​IMG]

And his son, mother was a BO

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Thanks for looking!

2. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Ok so nobody wants to help me out with my little mutt roo. That's ok. Maybe once he gets some tail feathers somebody will know!

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Possibly lemon blue OEGB? If not, than it's a mutt...

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I was thinking OEGB as well. I know there are black breasted reds. Are there blue breasted reds?

5. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I don't think so, Blue Red OEGB roosters have red in their primaries, which this particular bird doesn't [​IMG]

Here is a Blue Red (Blue Brested Red) rooster, clearly showing the red primaries. Also he is a tad bit darker than your rooster...

[​IMG]

And here is a Lemon Blue Rooster..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Well he is def. some kind of mutt. I was thinking OEG when I was him but his coloring is really odd. I think his comb is all wrong too. Poor thing looks so miserable in this picture. He has a mostly red bantam hen that is supposed to be the same breed, but I don't have a pic. I may adopt him anyway. Not that I NEED another rooster!

7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    He has the right comb [​IMG] The birds in the pic I posted have their combs & wattles dubbed (cut off) for show purposes. His feet even seem to be the right color... Do you have a pic of his girly?

8. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    The lady sent me this picture. The hen is in the lower right corner. I say that there is NO way they are the same breed. Looks to be different combs. Hard to tell anything by this picture. I'm just taking them as a favor for a friend of a friend b/c the potbellied pig and the roo cannot get along. The pig is going to kill him. Personally I think I would get rid of the pig [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are three other pictures of the roo, neither of these girls are the hen in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    lol, same. Some people just don't see how awesome chickens are [​IMG] she looks like a BBred, which isn't the same color at all. She sorta looks like a game mix...

10. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    oh here are better pics, I never thought to check out her FB page. It looks like the lady has all her animals in the same run together-chickens, guineas, goats, ducks, peacocks, mini pig, dogs, and cats. It is a wonder they haven't eaten each other! I guess to each their own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chick in the pic is the second roo from my original post. Mom was the BO looking chicken, but the Bantam hatched and raised him.

Edited b/c I can't spell today. *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by