Bantam Roo with long nails and a limp! Seek advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by btenbo11, Feb 12, 2014.

1. btenbo11

btenbo11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Hi there,

I have an almost year old bantam rooster that has been for a few months limping or favoring his one leg. Not sure why, thought maybe one of our dogs got ahold of him and injured it. He doesn't seem in pain and still is very energetic. This morning I finally managed to catch him and take a good look at him. I noticed that his toenails are very long and his spurs. The toenails are dark in color and the spurs are light golden. One on the leg he favors is sort of curling into his foot, maybe thinking this is why he is limping? Not sure. Also the skin of his legs and feet are dark pink in color, not same color and rest of body. Does this mean anything, like a skin disease or infection? He doesn't mind being held and doesn't fight back so if needed I can trim his nails/spurs, but have no idea of how or where to start.Never trimmed any of our chickens nails at this point. Would appreciate any advice :) Thanks!

2. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Definitely trim long nails and if able allow access to gravel area for scratch around to keep trimming needs to a minimum. If you suspect infection see a vet.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With a rooster the testosterone causes the skin appear pinkish. Toe nails you can clip like a dog's, just don't clip to much and cut into the quick. They are a couple of methods to shorten a rooster's spurs. Try doing a search of despurring a rooster. there a re a couple of threads that talk about the pros and cons.

4. Flybybirds

Flybybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Florida
    I just took off some really long spurs on my EE Rooster. I wrapped him in a towel extending one leg at a time. I put vaseline around the top of the spur where it connects to the leg. Waited for three minutes. I have a pliers with rubber handles which makes it easy for me to handle. You attach the pliers to the top of the spur just tight enough to rock it back and forth. You will hear a click or feel it. I just pull the spur off. Because of the vaseline it doesn't seem to bleed too much. If you have flour or styptic pencil or blood stop you can use it to stop the flow of flood. Honestly just holding it for a few minutes stops the flow. Then I do the other side. He was watching me all the time just hangin in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by