Bantam Rooster and Barred Rock Hen

Ittlechickies

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2016
Hey! One of my Barred Rock's are broody with fertile eggs. We candled them day 19 and most of the egg was taken up by the chick. My fear is, what if they don't hatch? They are all Barred Rock eggs, laid by my broody hen, and so they are bigger eggs, but seeing that they have a bantam father, will the chicks be too small for the larger egg? I know chicks will get to big for their egg and hatch, but I dont know if these Barred-Rock-Bantams are going to get big enough. Anybody know the outcome?

The chicks will be fine. They will utilize all of the nutrients in the egg and hatch just as if they were big chickens. They will probably mature somewhat smaller than their mother. Congratulations to the little guy for getting the job done.

Okay good! That takes a lot of stress off me! Thank you for your help, I will probably post a picture of the hatched chicks, when they hatch.

Okay, so I have a question. We candled the eggs, which still have not hatched, and I watched as one of the chicks moved up and down, almost as if it were bobbing in water. Is that the "movement in the egg" that people talk about? Or is my chicken dead and it was just because I may have tilted the egg had it moved?

Okay, so I have a question. We candled the eggs, which still have not hatched, and I watched as one of the chicks moved up and down, almost as if it were bobbing in water. Is that the "movement in the egg" that people talk about? Or is my chicken dead and it was just because I may have tilted the egg had it moved?
That's how they usually move, I would search some videos on youtube so you can compare :) Also try holding the egg steady and stare at it and see if it moves! please post pictures, I am too thinking about getting a bantam rooster that I want to breed with standard hens!

I really want a bantam rooster too, I hope my parents will let me get one. If so I will also breed with standard size hens and hope it works (and that I'll get a broody).

Back
Top Bottom