Bantam Rooster--Broken foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHDCST, Mar 8, 2012.

1. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] I am trying to find out why my BB Red roo won't put weight on his foot. He has always walked on his tiptoes but yesterday I noticed he was standing on one foot. I didn't think much about it until I remembered he has been in the nesting box with his broody hen for 3 days. She usually won't let him near her nest. He can't seem to wrap his foot around the roosting bars and he isn't putting any weight on his foot. The foot and leg are not red but they are swollen and hot. I noticed his toes look deformed on the bad foot. I know I have put splints on chicks feet before with good results. Do I need to splint his foot or should I leave him alone. He is at least 2 years old. I have had him a little over a year and he already had spurs when I got him. He is my first little roo and I can't stand to think he might be in pain! What can I give him for pain? I can't get the video I took of him to load.How do I put the video on here?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You will need to splint the foot if you suspect it is broken. That should help immensely with the pain. You can give a regular aspirin in a gallon of water for the pain, too.

3. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]Thanks, I figured that I needed to do the splint but it is easier if I hear it from someone else. I can be a bit emotional when it comes to my little buddy. The aspirin won't hurt the hen? She is broody and the chicks should hatch in about 10 days.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No, it shouldn't hurt her. Honestly, once the foot is splinted he probably won't need the aspirin. So, if you are concerned then I would forgo the aspirin.

Good luck.

5. AHDCST

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Update. my Eugene was putting weight on his foot today! He still can't seem to perch on the roosting bars but he has a shelf he can sit on outside the nesting box. he even wanted out this morning and he limped around with me as I checked on the rest of the flock. He does seem to look better.He isn't as pale and fevered as he was the 2 days prior. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and suggestions.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it. I hope he continues to mend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by