Bantam Rooster "flirting" with people?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arztwolf, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I have a blue wheaten OEGB that is a little feathered casanova. He will approach anyone and "flirt" (that wing thing they do with the hens). He will circle the person and do that little dance before calmly walking away. A 70 year old woman was tickled pink to be flirted with by such a "handsome" bird.[​IMG]

Any reason for him to be doing this? He is very docile and has NEVER shown aggressive behavior. He does the above to other Roos and they just ignore him.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old is he? Many roosters are just show offs and proud of themselves, sometimes that can lead to people aggression, but if he's been doing it for a while and has behaved himself I would just figure it's part of his charm. Those little game roosters are full of spit and vinegar, with energy to spare.

3. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    He's almost 5 months old. He started doing it when he began crowing.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    keep your eye on him and never give him your back, so you don't give him an opportunity to have a go at you.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    He's thinking bad thoughts, acting as though humans are flockmates. It's very possible that he'll decide to attack humans one of these days. Be careful! Mary

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agree with Mary, and his first victim will be a child, if there are any visiting.

7. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Yes, he loves you! Gamefowl have been breed for many hundreds, if not thousands of years to love humans. When these birds were fought in pit it was hard to handle a 'manhater' trying to fight you instead of other rooster! Manhaters were culled.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is a sign of aggression from the Rooster. He is not Flirting at all, does not see people as his flock mates. He is turning in to a full fledged Rooster.
    He is giving warning signs to stay away from his hens. When he approaches and does his dance, or before he does..Chase him off.
    Never turn your back to him, he will see it as a sign of weakness from you and might attack.
    Keep small children away from him, they seem to pick on kids or smaller people.
    If he gets to bad you may need to cull that Rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by