Bantam Rooster has odd Cock-a-Doodle-Doo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by learwijlmismas, Sep 20, 2009.

1. learwijlmismas

learwijlmismas New Egg

May 3, 2009
    Snohomish
    We are new to raising chickens and have a Barred Rock Bantam Rooster that is about 4 months old. When he cock-a-doodle-doo's he only does about half of the traditional sound (cock-a-doodle).
    Is this an instinctual thing? Will it get better with time? We only have one rooster and no other rooster for him to hear. We don't mind, but he sounds very odd.
    thanks
    Joe

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Every roosters' crow is different. Not all sound like the "cock-a-doodle-doo". My Silkie's crow sounds like cock-a-dooooooo!

3. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    We have a cochin bantam roo who sound hilarious when he crows. Its a quiet, high pitched half cock a doodle doo!! My husband thinks it great. He is the smallest, but the first to start making noise!

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    They all have a unique call, but even more than that I don't think I've ever heard one who started crowing a full cock-a-doodle-doo right off the bat. When they're young they kind of have to figure out how all the vocal cords work and for a while they can come up with all kinds of crazy sounds in the meantime.

We've got a young cochin bantam roo that calls like a duck if you take "his" hen away. [​IMG]

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have 13 week old bantam SP Rocks & so far they all crow four sylables as opposed to the 5 I am accustomed to. They have been crowing on & off for a couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by