Bantam Rooster Ill (blackened comb/lethargy) Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anna mossette, Aug 14, 2013.

1. anna mossette

anna mossette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    Rocky the Roo is our 5 mos old Bantam. He has been active and healthy until the other day.
    I noticed the edges of his comb darkening, yesterday he went missing when it was time to put everyone up (they free range during the day and put up at night) we looked high and low for him and all I could think is an assassin had gotten him.

We have been at our place going on 8 mos and have only had chickens since the beginning of March, we have had no issues with predators (not that they aren't around). We are also constantly vigilant and let our dogs out to patrol through out the day.

This morning we let everyone out and about an hour later I went to check on everyone as I normally do and low and behold there was Rocky standing in front of the coop. He was/is not himself. We figured he was probably beat after a night away from coop, but its more than that. His comb is droopy and purple looking, he is lethargic, he did take a sip of water and a nibble of food, but by no means does he have an appetite. I have separated him.

I have done research and reading and there seems to be several possibilities. I was truly hoping someone in this community could shed a clearer light on my situation and possible guide me in the best direction. I love this little guy and like with all my animals would do what ever I can for him.

An after thought we feed all the birds Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for the girls, we have 6 Bantams (2 roos and 4 hens), 4 regular size chickens (1 roo and 3 hens) and 3 pekin ducks all of the birds are 5-6 mos old.

Any Advice is Greatly Appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

3. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    I know the vet we take our dogs and cats to does not see birds. I will make some calls tomorrow. I am hoping it is something we can address at home, an unexpected human medical ER last month has eaten up a large portion of our extra funds.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There are many things you can try, but you need to think like a vet would... So what's the first thing a vet or tech does when ysakeake your cat or dog in? They weigh them, right? Then they do a thorough exam. An exam at my house includes, but isn't limited to:

Weighing, of course.

Check eyes and nostrils.

Open beak and look and smell inside of mouth and down throat.

Check esophagus for blockages

Check crop, is it empty, full, hard, squishy, etc.

Inspect skin for bruising, lumps, cuts, swellings, bugs, etc.

Inspect every poop for 24 hours. For this I keep them inside in a crate on a light colored towel or let them walk around on my hardwood floors, lol.

A hen would get a cloacal exam to check for an egg, masses, swellings, cancer, etc.

If they are stable they get dusted for bugs and de-wormed, no exceptions.

Can you do the above?

-Kathy

-

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Give him some electrolytes,he looks terrified. Purple tinge to comb/wattles usually means respiratory/circulatory issues,but can also be hormonal. Keep him quiet and calm,encourage him to eat/drink,see if his comb/wattles resume normal color. How does his poop look?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check him over very carefully for wounds as Kathy suggested,look under his wings. Blood circulates between the comb/wattles,this cools chickens down during warm weather,because his are purple/black some impairment of circulation is gong on,make sure he is warm.

7. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    Kathy and Ten Chicks
    First and foremost, Thank You.
    I am on it. Chocking down some chow (for got to eat today) and then will do everything you listed, and post results.
    I have him in smaller cage on wee pads. He has only pooped once and it is white with what looks almost like bits of digested grass. Though he isn't eating the flock raiser he did eat few meal worms.

8. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    The results of Rockys exam

He weights 1lb and 1oz
    His eyes and nostrils are clear and clean
    His mouth and throat are also clear and clean
    There is no blockage in his esophagus
    His crop is empty, though.
    There are no signs of lesions, broken, bruised, cut or swollen skin.
    No signs of any bugs.
    I attached a photo of the second poop he made today, just prior to the exam.
    Also his eyes seem to be dilated
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If he were mine, I would start by de-worming him with Fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) at 50mg/kg once and repeat in ten days. He weighs almost 500 grams (1/2 a kg), so he would get .25ml (25mg) orally. If in ten days he's gained weight, I'd increase his dose accordingly. You can get the womer at most feed stores, it's in the cattle, goat and horse sections.

There's been a lot of coccidiosis lately, so I'd probably treat for that, too, but it will be harder to do if you don't have liquid Corid or Amprol.

If he's not drinking and eating, you'll need to tube feed him. You think you can do that? We can teach you!

-Kathy

10. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    Kathy
    I have an appointment in town tomorrow so I will go to the Co-Op to get the de-wormer, so any of the above would work? I read something about Ivermectin would that too be adequate? I have Corid from a spell with a sick keet. I have to assume that I should worm the entire flock. Though I am not sure about the Pekins, they range together but are not housed together, and the Guineas are pretty much self sufficient. When you say tube feed is that the same as using a plunger syringe for feeding etc? If not then I would need some instruction. (And to think just over a year ago I was worried about street cleaning and parking tickets)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by