Bantam Rooster problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stretchy4u2, Dec 14, 2018.

1. stretchy4u2

stretchy4u2 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA
    I have one old bantam rooster that fathered the 2 new ones. I have approx 17 chickens and 1/2 acre for them to roam on. my 2 baby roosters grew up and so I let them out yesterday and they ran off the older rooster. He slept in the garage last night. what do i do?. my oldest one is the picture I use on this website. His name is GQ cause he is so handsome.

alexa009 likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is to survive with the flock, the young cockerels need a new home.

3. stretchy4u2

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA
    I was affraid of that. that's what i will do.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Andrea

sourland likes this.
  4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Crowing

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I have a bantam rooster who is going on 9 years old. I also keep young roosters every year. Right now I have 5 other roosters. Charlie, the bantam has his own coop with a couple of old hens. The young roosters would kill him if they had a chance. That's just the way roosters are. It's very unhandy to have to keep him separate but he has been a lot of pleasure to have around over the years. He's also given me a lot of chicks in his younger years. So I'll do what I have to do to give him a good retirement as long as he lives. :old

stretchy4u2 and sourland like this.
  5. stretchy4u2

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA

6. stretchy4u2

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA
    OMG that i how i totally feel. I love GQ he has been really good to me for about 7 years.I don't have any old hens, can i put a couple hens in a special coop for him and them. he has been free range will he adjust in a coop?

red horse ranch likes this.
  7. TwistedSteel

TwistedSteel Songster

Jul 15, 2013
    Florida
    Put those two cockerels back in the pen and allow old GQ to keep his flock free range. You can keep the boys for backup or get rid of them later.

cottontail farm and stretchy4u2 like this.
  8. stretchy4u2

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA
    Thank you twistedsteel that sounds like the best answer yet. Things went smoothly before the 2 roosters got out. I need to put them back in till another time.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Live in The Cuckoo's Nest

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will definitely have to decide and manage either the young ones or older one. In my experiences bantam roosters are more feisty than standards.

Another option is to split those young boys up and try to let one out at a time. I had troubles with a pair of brothers ganging up until I split them up for a bit. After that they do their own thing, and they don't work together anymore. Rooster can form coalitions, which makes them more powerful and a bigger pain in the butt.

I think with some juggling, and managing those young ones past the spring hormone surge, and getting them more mature and settled you may possibly be able to get all out together, maybe.

red horse ranch and puffypoo like this.
  10. stretchy4u2

Jul 10, 2015
    Red Bluff, CA
    Thank you, all the answers I got today are all pretty valid I just need to decide what I want to do now.I want to do whats the best for GQ cause he was here first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: