Bantam Rooster + Regular sized Hen= ?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sharksandguitars, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Will a bantam rooster affect the size of the eggs laid by a normal sized hen? Will the eggs be smaller?

2. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    im still relatively new to chickens, but i believe the answer is no. The only affect a rooster has on the eggs is whether they are fertile or not.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It shouldn't affect her egg size.

4. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Oh good. But it will affect the size of the chicks if I hatch some of the eggs this spring?

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yes, and the eggs those hens lay will most likely be smaller.
    Quote:

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can tell you that my Old English Game Bantam is unable to fertilize even the smallest of my large fowl hens. The silver leghorns, buttercups, Fayoumis and hamburgs don't weigh much more then 3 pounds and his tail is about 1/3 of the way down their back. The only way I could cross them would be with artificial insemination.

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Had the same thing happen to me with oegb and leghorn hen, the poor guy was no where near getting the job done. It was hilarios to see, the hen would just take off walking and he's there riding her like he was getting a pigiy-back-ride.lol
    Quote:I can tell you that my Old English Game Bantam is unable to fertilize even the smallest of my large fowl hens. The silver leghorns, buttercups, Fayoumis and hamburgs don't weigh much more then 3 pounds and his tail is about 1/3 of the way down their back. The only way I could cross them would be with artificial insemination.

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    When my bantam tries to mate my LF hens, it's like he's riding a horse. There's no way those eggs can be fertile!

9. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    my bantum ee rooster is stocky and fully beautiful - but too small - I think I will cull him because I do not want the eggs hatched by the hens sired by him to produce small eggs, chicks etc...thank you for the information.....G what will you do? I have a large fowl flock and do not want to introduce the smaller size....

10. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    From most of the responces, it seems unlikely that he will even be able to fertilize the eggs.
    If you want to hatch chicks from your eggs, you will probably want to get a LF rooster to take care of your hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by