bantam rooster unknown

aus chook

Hatching
Dec 26, 2017
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me I.D. this little bantam rooster.
I got as a day old, he was suppose to be a light sussex! lol
i can't contact the person i got him from unfortunately, he's about 8 months old now.
Anyway i wanted to get some hens for him but want to get the right type. Any help would be great( I am in sydney Australia)
cheers
P1060699.JPG

57BB8612-CE5A-4D47-805E-D9B1FC90A9C5.jpeg
Hi everyone,
i can't contact the person i got him from unfortunately, he's about 8 months old now.
Anyway i wanted to get some hens for him but want to get the right type. Any help would be great( I am in sydney Australia)
cheers
View attachment 1477350
That doesn’t look like the bantam that I have but I’m new to all the breeds, so I don’t really know if that is a bantam or not. Mine look like this.

Hi everyone,
cheers
View attachment 1477350

I see he has feathered legs. To me he looks like he might be a cochin (might be called pekins in Australia) and wyandotte mix, due to the wonky rose comb.

View attachment 1477355
That doesn’t look like the bantam that I have but I’m new to all the breeds, so I don’t really know if that is a bantam or not. Mine look like this.

"Bantam" isn't a breed but rather a type of chicken. There are many, many breeds of bantam. Yours looks like it may be an old english game.

Last edited:
Cochin/Wyandotte mix fits the bill. I could also see him being a Cochin/White Rose Comb bantam cross.

As you are probably aware, most of us are in the United States, so we are not all up on Australian breeds nor the Australian standards for breeds. Your bird may be something we just haven't seen yet or something fitting the Aussie standard for a breed we do know. I couldn't say for certain that Cochins aren't allowed to have rose combs in the Australian standard, for instance.

So I think you will need to do a little more research specific to your place of origin. If nothing pans out, then either white Cochin or white Wyandotte females would probably produce similar looking offspring. He is magnificent whatever he happens to be.

Also, as stated above, what we call Cochin bantams are the same thing the British call Pekins. The same probably hold true in Australia, but I'm not certain.

Back
Top Bottom