1. gus.gus18@yahoo.com

[email protected] New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    My rooster was attacked by 2 other roosters and he can`t keep his balance and is having trouble walking. Can anyone tell me if he will pull out of this or should we put him out of his misery.He doesn`t have a mark on him put he keeps falling over. If you pick him up he`ll be ok until he falls over again, Please help, I feel really sorry for him but I don`t want him to suffer.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Keep him inside, where he is warm and dry, if he won't eat or drink, syringe him. You can also offer him chopped up boiled egg, or plain yogurt to try to entice him to eat. They may have done some neurologic damage to him by pecking his head, though I'd expect him to have marks on him if they nailed him that hard...did you see the attack, or just assume that he was attacked because of how he's acting? Also, he could have been attacked if he was acting like this before, then if you just saw the actual attack, you may be assuming that it was the attack that did this to him...????

3. gus.gus18@yahoo.com

Oct 24, 2010
    We did see the actual attack and the knocked him right off the top roost. He was on the ground and laying on his back when we got in the coop. He will eat and drink as long as you help him up. He kinda staggers like he is drunk but will eat and drink. I put electrolites in his water and bought high vitimin food. He acts pretty normal outside of falling over and needing help up. Also, he hasn`t crowed since this happened and we have been caring for him for about 3 weeks. He was a good rooster before and he is nowhere near himself now. He tries to jump up on the roost but falls every time.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I would definitely keep him seperate by himself, they might've given him a big enough knock to the head to cause some swelling. If you can take him to a vet, he could probably benefit from some steroids.

5. gus.gus18@yahoo.com

Oct 24, 2010
    Well, I brought my little banty in and have been doing everything you said and he seems to be getting weaker. I`m considering putting him down but I want to be sure I can`t save him. Now he eats and drinks but won`t hardly try to walk. If he does he just falls over and can`t get up. Should I put him down? It`s been almost 4 weeks since this started and I don`t want to kill him if he has a chance but I don`t want to prolong his suffering either. Please help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by