Bantam rooster ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieCRZYness, Aug 17, 2008.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    When breeding bantams, pure bred that is, and in my case D'uccles, do i want to keep the biggest rooster or smallest? i know bantams are small. just wondering it might help me make my decision because i cant choose which boy to keep i love them all!! thanks

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I would look at the standard, they list size/weight and keep whichever has the best overall traits + proper size.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

breed for whatever size the standard of perfection asks for.

However in concept, when breeding bantams the smaller the better, and with standards the larger the better, as a rule of thumb.

4. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    ok because i can only keep two roos, i have 12 hens, 3 would probably fight, ill try 3 for a while i guess but any ways between the two that i might get rid of, one is noticeable smaller than the other, they are the same age and the smaller one has a brighter/bigger comb than the other soo im pretty sure hes just going to be a small roo, which is i think is good because the standard weight for a roo is 26 oz so about a 1lb and a half full grown. man that is so small, im used to barred rocks and buff orpington 10lb rooster hahaha

5. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    D'uccles should be kept at there smallest. am i right in pronucing it dee-loose?

6. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    when i ordered a few of these guys from ideal, the lady on the phone pronounced the d'uckles i always pronounced them d ussles or something like that haha ne one else know how to pronounce there name correctly.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've been told it sounds like duck lay ... but who knows..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by