Bantam Roosters - what breed though?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FatBottomGirls, Dec 14, 2012.

1. FatBottomGirls

FatBottomGirls Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    I adore my Grandma...we have our chickens co-residing at the moment. Awhile back she took 6 cockerels & roosters to the auction, as we had too many here. We were left with 2 roos & 30 girls.

She comes home from the auction, all excited & wanted my son & I to come out to the barn to see what she got him. I smacked my forehead, but was hoping it was a rabbit or (even better) a goat since we were just talking about 4-H.

Nope. She brought home 6 Bantams, undetermined breed/sex. "Aren't they neat!?" As much as I love all of our animals, I didn't want 6 more mouths. (I'm the one who buys the food for all of the animals, minus the cattle)

So...after a couple months of watching them develop...they're all boys. Every single one of them...

I don't know what the future holds for them, but I am curious what breed they are. If anybody can share insight, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

I took a few pictures of them scratching in the drive the other morning. The pics aren't that great.

The 2 in the back right are spring chicks, to give you a size reference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see one of my Fat Bottom Girls running to the barn to lay her egg.

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Look like game birds to me. Not sure exactly. Just had to post about the last picture. LOL. It's so sudden. Like Whoops! Gotta go!

3. FatBottomGirls

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH

I know! That's what she does all the time. She'll be scratching & hanging out, then all of the sudden she's off like a shot! She makes me laugh.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I like your term of endearment for them. "Fat Bottom Girls" How adorable is that?

Everyone knows you shouldn't hold your egg until the last minute! [​IMG]

5. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    That's too funny!!! [​IMG]

I agree with aoxa they look like a game bird cross to me as well. Very pretty, too bad they are all boys.

6. FatBottomGirls

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    Thanks everyone! I started calling them Fat Bottom Girls accidently. I would always greet them by telling them how pretty they were. Then one day I looked at my girls eating at the feeder, butts up in the air (similar to my pic) &said "oh my girls have fat bottoms!" Then I started singing the song...

7. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    Well I love the term, it sure does fit!! Now you have the song going through my head. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    They look like Nankin Bantams to me. Assuming random assignment, the chance of getting 100% Roos isn't possible. . . . Does your grandmother gamble?

9. FatBottomGirls

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    I would agree with you, except that these were bought at an auction. I would venture to say that the person who was selling them knew they were all roos. Especially because the auction place has a lot of old school, experienced farmers. They aren't there to sell for fun or prettiness of the animal. They're there to sell off their unwanted livestock.

I researched the Nankin after you posted this. I'd say it's a possibility. Thank you!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not saying that they are, but indeed they look much like Nankin cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by