1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicky1016, May 28, 2016.

1. chicky1016

chicky1016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    Could i get a bantam rooster and put him in with the rest of my flock that are regular sized hens? Would he be able to take over like a regular sized rooster? Would he be good protection for them?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't feel like a bantam rooster could provide AS much protection as a Standard sized one (though my chocolate silkie cockerel tries really hard to look tough XD) I've heard that the bantams can and do breed the females just fine.

3. chicky1016

chicky1016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    Do you think he'd immediately take charge like a normal sized rooster would? Would the hens pick on him?

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    My hens have picked on my smaller boys all the time but we never keep them long enough to find they're place as the big guy in the flock. Our current cockerel is tough and defends his tiny silkie flock from the other birds but he is against fully grown crazy red heads XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by