Bantam Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elephantbuddy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. elephantbuddy

elephantbuddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    I was wondering if a Bantam rooter can still be in charge when in a flock of standard hens(Golden Buff, Rhode Island Red, Easter Egger, and Barred Rock)? I want to get a Silky, and one other Bantam. ( Not quite sure what breed yet.) I'm hoping that if I buy 2 bantams there is a better chance that one is a rooster. Is there a benefit of getting your bantam a little earlier so that he is bigger and can take "charge" of the hens? If so how much older? Or should I just get them all at the same time? My last question is about the cold, is it possible for a bantam to live in a cold climate without major problems?

Thank you so much[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Bantam roosters can certainly take charge of a large fowl flock, especially breeds like silkies and cochins because the roosters aren't really that much smaller than some LF hens. No need to get them earlier that your other chicks. The only problem could be getting fertile eggs, since some bantam breeds are MUCH smaller than LF. But with silkies this isn't a problem usually so you should be okay there too.

3. elephantbuddy

elephantbuddy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by