Bantam roster un-respected with large fowl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jgoldy2, Feb 3, 2015.

1. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    I have Bantams and large fowl, my little Rooster gets picked on by our large fowl, so much that he is with the bantams that just went to show, I want to keep him but the main flock doesn't like him, and I have a Speckled Sussex rooster that picks on him.

2. jgoldy2

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    He isn't aloud to sleep on the perch like the other birds, I think that I will have him in a crate at night although he doesn't crow

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Bantams sometimes have to be kept in their own coop separate from larger birds if they are getting picked on. Especially if you have a larger rooster who is going after him.

4. jgoldy2

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Okay, that is hard but I will try, it is more around meal time and at night, could I try having him in a crate at night and not letting him out untill after meal time?

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Do what I did in the past. Have a separate coop and yard for large fowl, and one for bantams. Rotate them when it comes to range time, large breeds one day, bantams the next, etc. There are rare exceptions, but kind after kind is the best solution to avoid problems.

6. jgoldy2

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Okay, some of the bantams are already with the large fowl although I could have a show bantam pen, and a genral population pen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by