1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Silkie vs. Standard Silkie-- whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EggSpudition, Mar 18, 2010.

1. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I am trying to get a collection of answers to help me decide.

I would like to get another silkie chick-- many sites sell all their silkies as bantams-- some sell them as standards. It all gets very confusing...

Are the standard silkies and bantam silkies the same chicken? I've heard arguments say that the silkies sold in the states are all the same "silkie" but sold as bantams.. wha? [​IMG]

Anyone got silkies-- if so what size were they as chicks (please compare to coins) What size are they now?

Thanks in advance!

Sara
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

To my knowledge, there are no standard Silkies in the United States. All I've ever seen are bantams.

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:I've heard that standard is what they breed started as, or what they are supposed be be size. LF and standards get confused. That's what I saw once, can't remember the thread.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    ALL silkies began as bantams. Largefowl were bred up from hte bantams, and my understanding is that in countries that have them, keeping them large enough is a continual issue.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a UK link that has the standard on it and they have a Large fowl and Bantams. Large Fowl weight at Male 1.8 1kg (4lbs) Female 1.36kg (3lbs) and bantams Male 600g (22ozs) Female 500g (18ozs)..
    In the U.S. I beleve we only have the Bantams... I also agree with Sonoran that the silkies began as bantams...
    http://www.courtneypoultry.co.uk/id16.html

Chris

6. EggSpudition

EggSpudition Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you this is such good info. The bantam silkies on the ideal site say the hens will be 34 oz when full grown.. anyone know if thee hatcheries sell them as a referent size?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The US standard calls for silkies to weigh:
    Cock 36 oz.
    Cockerel 32 oz.
    Hen 32 oz.
    Pullet 28 oz.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Is there a +/- to these weights when being judged? Or this this up to the individual judge?

I've seen some silkies at shows recently that looked HUGE to me and wondered how a few in my flock would measure up in terms of size. Especially the pullets/hens.

Mumbling to self...."I've got to pull out the scale and weigh my girls..."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I wonder if the OP isn't confusing Silkies bred to standard and the actual large fowl.

10. DuckRaiser

DuckRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2013
    Elmira Oregon
    My Coop
    I would like to know also, I think I'm getting I silkie but I'll be almost mad if it turns out to be just a regular sized hen![​IMG] So, is there really a difference between a silkie and a silkie bantam?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by