1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam silkie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by happyk1, Aug 1, 2016.

1. happyk1

happyk1 New Egg

Aug 1, 2016
    hi everyone,

I have a bantam silkie and he/she is 4 months of age but he/she is only 3 inches tall idk whats going on here..... I thought the breed would be bigger.... I just really want to know if anyone else has had a chicken so small. thank you

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Hi I have 2 black silkies that r pullets and they r 5 months old. Of all my silkies these 2 r the smallest. Not much bigger than yours. Mine eat and drink and r very happy and as long as they stay that way I don't worry about them. I do have pics but I have to get out my laptop as for some reason I can't download them from my phone. I will do that tomorrow. Hope this makes u feel a little better

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I hope that the peeps on the link provided can help out. I'm sure that there's a silkie thread - just type silkie in the search box and see what pops up.

All the best
    Ct

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Just put "Silkie thread," in the search box and it will pop up. I don't know if that is normal for silkies or not, have never measured any. But if they seem happy and healthy - all is good. It's like Chihuahuas you can have tiny ones, and there are also some that are in no way small. Depends a lot of their parental background.

7. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG]and enjoy the great community!

8. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I love my 2 little silkies they r tiny also but that just makes them cuter. I have 4 pullets out of 11 my other 2 pullets r a bit bigger than them but that's ok too. Now how to rehome my roosters I have tried everything but unfortunately it's that time of year when everyone has them. Oh well

9. happyk1

happyk1 New Egg

Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by