Bantam SLW(?) Rooster Crossed With...

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
I recently got this little devil and I can't decide what to do with him. He either needs to be sold/given away, or I need to pair him up with some hens and see what happens. I bought him as a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster, but he doesn't look like one to me. The current theory is that he's a throwback that looked the Standard of Perfection in the face before snubbing it.

I have a bunch of different standard hens, but all of my bantams are Cochins (and the only ones my Cochin rooster will probably part with are three little buff hens). I'm honestly not sure what I'd want to make. This is more along the lines of the rooster earning his keep. If he can't pay his room and board he needs to find a new home or meet the Giant Freezer (which hardly seems worth the effort).

Any thoughts? Below is a picture of him.

unknownroo.JPG

Here's my SLW rooster...
SLW_rooster_9-10-081.jpg

Minus a tail, sorry, he'd been pecked in the cage so he will grow one soon. I'll get better pics then. I think mine could use better lacing but I don't know a whole lot about Wyandottes yet.

ummm, looks like a slw to me, just a young one. he seems to have nice lacing, i am sure someone would like to home him if you decide against keeping him. my experience with that breed was that they are docile and lay (well not the roo) nice eggs.

I love the breed. I have a SLW bantam trio and a half dozen standard SLW hens with their own rooster. His lacing is great, he just doesn't -look- like my others.

His legs are white instead of orange, he carries his tail a lot higher and more to a point and he doesn't have the round body type. All in all, his shape is more "racy" and slender than round and poofy. If I can get pictures of him and one of my SLW bantams side by side I'll show you what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom