Bantam Sumatras in Western NC?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by EllyMae, Aug 19, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I am interested in this breed but can't seem to find any close to me. Also, if you have any personal experience with this breed, fill me in. I have been researching for quite a while but book info is one thing, personal experience is a whole other ball game and sometimes a lot more valuable.
    If you have some for sale, let me know the age and price.
    Thanks so much.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We don't have bantams, but my aunt has standards and lives here locally. She has a blue hen with black roo and I think they've mostly hatched black offspring out. Not positive. I have two of them here at my house that I've incubated and grown out some for her. heh

I don't care for their personality, too flighty for me and very dominating (may just be the ones she has had, has had a hard time intergratating new ones in with the old).

3. EllyMae

I had read that the hens were good mothers...? Does your aunt have any babies?
    BTW, Asher, sounds like we are in for a weeks worth of rain/storms, ugh.

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yes, she's had some go broody. They are very good, protective mothers, but not so good at adopting new ones (at least hers were like that) because they get terratorial (sp?).

I hadn't seen the weather. Yay. *sigh* Was hoping for a good week before the kids go back to school so we could finish out the Summer with fun things. Guess it'll be fun INDOOR things. heh

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    My inlaws have some, they would ship me some if i ask them,from PR. BUT THERE STANDARD. [​IMG]
    i have 2 standerd sumamtras roosters. i dont have personal expereianc with females though. mine love attention becouse we gave them affection since babys, but i will say that if you leave them by them self with no other roo it will get aggresive with others the males have to grow up wnear other roosters to get them to be ok with other roos.here are some clippings that helped me when i got mine, [​IMG]

There is quite some speculation about the origin of this breed. Some claim they would be a sub-species of junglefowl before cross breeding with other breeds. Others believe they are a cross-breed of Gallus varius, Green junglefowl or even pheasantlike cross-breeds. How ever, they were created on Sumatra (Indonesia-Sunda Islands) and are one of the oldest fowl breeds. Despite their elegant appearance they are realy game fowl. Under the name Ayam Sumatra they were used purely in the gamepit.

Around 1850 they were imported into America where they gained popularity rapidly thanks to their exotic character. After the gamepit lost interest in this breed the were breed for shows only. In 1883 the breed was given a standard and was admitted in the ASP (American Standard of Perfection) Around this same period they were introduced in Germany and around 1900 into England. After that other European countries followed. The bantam was created in the Netherlands both in black and blue.
    Sumatras are an exceedingly rare and largely undomesticated breed of chicken thought to be closely related to the jungle fowl of the far east. They're kept for their beauty alone, for they're ungifted in the egg-laying department and aren't hefty enough to be a good meat bird. As you'll note, their gorgeous, lustrous feathers are their most striking quality, but in addition they're the only breed of chicken whose roosters have multiple spurs, black skin and even black bones!

All of this is true i believe because of my personal experience.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. EllyMae

Thanks for the info, shay20.
    Asher, if your aunt has some babies, let me know. I just came inside, doing some evening chores early due to skies looking dark and distant thunder...yuck

7. EllyMae

btw, they don't have to be bantams...I would be interested in standards, too.
    Also, am willing to pick up if not more than 2hours away
    Thanks!
    EllyMae

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My sumatras are awsome! I have standards and they are not aggressive, but they are somewhat timid. My hen is an amazing mom and has brooded her babies so far to 10+weeks. If you don't find babies, let me know. She'll start laying again soon and I can ship eggs.

9. EllyMae

THank you, that would be awesome! I think Sumatras are an extinct breed in these parts..lol.

10. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I agree. I found mine accidently. I knew nothing about breeds, but asked a local breeder what he would recommend for my area. They are absolutely perfect here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by