Bantam Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ddroland, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Can anyone recommend a breed of Bantam Turkey? I have standard Bronze now and I love having them around the farm, but the Tom has gotten so big he has a hard time walking, plus they eat and poop A LOT. I know I should put him in a the oven, but I'm not sure he would fit! I would love to keep having some Turkeys, but would like them to stay smaller. Would love to see some pics if any has any.

Thanks!

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Sounds like you don't have a standard bronze but a broad breasted bronze that is born to be butchered at 4-6 months old. Turkeys do eat a bunch but there are smaller breeds like royal palms, beltsville small white and midget whites.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

There is no bantam turkey. The two smallest varieties are the Midget White and Beltsville Small White. Mature toms around 20 pounds and hens 10 to 12.

Steve

4. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Quote:My thoughts exactly. Like Steve said, I would go with the Midget Whites or even a Royal Palm.

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:It would be neat to have a bantam Red Bourbon strutting around the yard [​IMG]

6. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Quote:It would be neat to have a bantam Red Bourbon strutting around the yard [​IMG]

Sure would! Thanks all for the input, surprises me that they only come in white.

7. cjbuchholz

cjbuchholz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Not sure how it happened, but I have a Narragansett which is about 1/5 the size of it's hatch mates. Guess it would be a bantam turkey? Anyone else ever see this?

8. Qwatra

Qwatra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Spokane, Washington
    I hope you still have this turkey! Please keep it and breed it! You might be on to something!!!

9. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Sounds like an interesting project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by