bantam unable to walk or stand without falling - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thatfiftiesgirl, Oct 21, 2011.

1. thatfiftiesgirl

thatfiftiesgirl New Egg

Sep 3, 2007
    Hi all,
    Hoping someone might have some ideas to help.

I have a lovely little cochin bantam, about two years old who started limping about five days ago. She didnt seem too distressed, and I though she might have ?pulled a muscle?. The poor leg didn't seem damaged when I looked at it, and she was able to move it independently. No mites; no other issues I was aware of.

Now over the last 2 days she is hardly moving, and when she attempts to stand she wobbles and falls over. She is still drinking, but not eating much. I have checked her out and can't see anything wrong with her but she is clearly not ok. She's unable to get up to roost, she's either staying in her nesting box, or moving only a short distance away.

I have two other chooks who are living alongside her and seem quite happy.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.......

Thanks

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Have you checked her feet over for bumblefoot?

3. thatfiftiesgirl

thatfiftiesgirl New Egg

Sep 3, 2007
    Thanks CMV - for your response.

I have just checked her again. I can't see anything on her feet that would indicate bumblefoot - (from what I've read). Her feet underneath look clean and don't appear swollen. They did feel a little warmer than I expected; not too sure how to check if she had a high temp. She looks brighter than yesterday and did eat something as I watched, but she is still not moving and topples over if I stand her up on her feet.
    I guess I'll just continue to keep an eye on her .

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, unfortunately, without any concrete evidence of something it makes it tough to figure out what's going on. Give her a few days and hopefully she will recover from whatever is ailing her.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by