bantam vs. large foul silkies and mypetchickens silkies??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Feb 19, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Hi, i was wondering the difference between bantam and large foul silkies besides there wheight? and what is the average wheight of a bantam silkie hen?
    Mypetchicken.com sells silkies and i was wondering if there bantam silkies usually look fairly well as in there pictures and do they all have beards or no beards?
    What color would you suggest i order from mypetchicken:
    White, Partridge, Buff, Black, Red, Blue?

thanks!
    ~Bri

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Their size and temperament is also different
    average weight i guess about 30 oz

Heard there silkies aren't to great

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have ordered silkies from My Pet Chicken... They are cute no doubt about it, but they were NOT bearded and had smaller poofs on their heads than the ones I hatched from breeders. They have a nice "pet" quality silkie. They were very healthy, active etc. I like super "poofy"!! Thats just me though.. [​IMG]

4. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    how are there temperments different and do you have any pictures of your silkies from mypetchicken?
    thanks bunches!
    ~bri

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We dont have large fowl silkies in this country that I'm aware of. Do they advertise them as such?

6. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I will try to find some pics... My Siberian Husky killed a few of them at 6 weeks from My Pet Chicken. Very heartbreaking. I have hatched my own since. They were very sweet. Silkies are usually sweet. I have yet to come across a nasty one. I have 3 kids and all of mine were hand tamed early on. The kids can still walk out to the coop and they will climb up in their laps. I will find some pics..

7. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I will try to find some pics... My Siberian Husky killed a few of them at 6 weeks from My Pet Chicken. Very heartbreaking. I have hatched my own since. They were very sweet. Silkies are usually sweet. I have yet to come across a nasty one. I have 3 kids and all of mine were hand tamed early on. The kids can still walk out to the coop and they will climb up in their laps. I will find some pics..

ok awsome!
    thanks
    ~Bri

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Waiting also. I'm ordering one with my order soon, for the first time. I'm getting red because they seem the most uncommon to me. I rarely hear anything about 'Red Silkies' these days. I like being different. [​IMG]

9. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    if i order 4 chicks from mypetchicken what might the price be? thanks!
    ~Bri

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:I've run across one breeder who is working on a large size Silkie.

But I've also heard that we don't have true bantam sized Silkies either. That most are somewhere inbetween. But classified as Bantam.

I could be wrong though [​IMG] Here's that breeder's site....

http://freestepfarm.com/poultry.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by