bantam vs large fowl for bigger dual purpose chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by abcn123s, Feb 18, 2017.

1. abcn123s

abcn123s Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Southwest Colorado
    I'm curious how going bantam will affect their egg size and amount per week on the bigger girls like the Wyandottes, Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. Also, does it affect the meat purpose of these hens a tremendous amount?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you maybe explain a bit more what you are asking and what you mean by "going bantam"? You seem to indicate you want larger dual purpose birds in the title, which would be counter to using bantam blood in the breeding program to produce those birds. Bantams are smaller so, yes, there is a negative effect to the overall meat production of individual birds and egg production is generally lower in bantams as well in comparison to the large fowl counterparts. If the goal is meat and/or egg production, the introduction of bantam genetics would be counterproductive.

3. abcn123s

abcn123s Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Southwest Colorado
    We are "very green" at the chicken thing and learning bits as we go! I am researching my breads as we are ready to get chicks in the next couple of weeks. I know that bantam's are smaller... but seeing the really big girls... the Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, it occurred to me that maybe I could do a couple of the bantam variety and still be big, but not ginormous! It was just a thought. I do know that the eggs are smaller and less frequent, I just didn't know by how much from their standard counterparts. Does that help explain it better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by