Bantam w/Feather legs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LauraSBale, Aug 28, 2008.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone

I got 3 Bantam girls back a couple weeks ago.
    and the other day I noticed one of them has feather on one side of her leg,
    I didn't know that Bantams could have feathers on the sides of their legs, is the Normal?

Sorry the pics didn't come out so good, the weather today is rainy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Nice birds.

Bantam refers to the size rather than the breed.

My experience is mostly with mutt bantams and feathered legs and feet are common.

3. Banty Rooster

Banty Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Cullman, Al.
    could they be some kind of brahma cross

4. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Looks like brahma mixed with easter eggers.

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

you know I'm not sure what they are mixed with, I went up north to pick up girls from camp. and on the way home i seen a sign, Bantam's for sale,. She had all kinds of chickens, but she said there bantam. the other 2 girls, dont have the feathers on the legs, the other one kind of looks like this one and the other girl is black with little white dots on the back of her neck.

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I think it has Cochin in it because though Brahmas are featherfooted they aren't as heavily feathered as Cochins. And I think that the Cochin was not one of the parents but one of the grandparents. The other cross could have been alot of things. The yellow feet means it could have been a Leghorn, a Plymouth Rock or anything with yellow feet.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She looks a bit like a Welsummer bantam. I had several Welsummers with some feathers down the shank, just a few, but feathers nonetheless. They say it's not uncommon for them to have a few.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by