Bantam with broken leg and curved toes. Please help!! Need advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slng9, Jul 3, 2016.

1. slng9

slng9 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Singapore
    I have just adopted 2 hens over the weekend and one of the girls had a broken leg and curved toes. How do i straighten her toes? Any advise is highly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    We use vet wrap for injured or broken legs...
    How old is she...?
    When did she break her leg...?
    How long have those toes been curled..?

If possible...to start with... I would gently soak her leg....

Hopefully someone replies with experience to help you...
    but I would post the info to the questions above and add as much info as you can...

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Curled under toes can be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency. Does she also sit on her hocks or elbows? Start some poultry vitamins containing riboflavin or some B Complex in the water or feed. This has to be treated early to be effective. She also may have an injury that caused this, but the more symptoms you can describe the better we can help you. Is it just in the one leg, and can she stand or walk?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. slng9

slng9 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Singapore
    she was attacked by a monitor lizard. From her previous owner: no vet wanted to take her in. Her breast skin split and could see the meat. About 1.5 cm wide. The leg injury is about a month. They bandaged her and she healed. When she walked, she would hop around for short distance on her good leg. Cant seem to extend her toes on her injured leg but she can stretch it for a while. we have restricted her movement. Place her in the tub with food and water nearby. getting some shredded paper for her today

5. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I don't know much you can do about her curled toes now, since its been awhile..
    You might want to call a vet and just ask if there is anything you can do....
    You may not want to spend the money, but they could give you some info that
    would be helpful.... but then maybe not..
    If you have the time, try soaking them for 15 minutes a day and see if you can relax the
    toes by just moving them a little bit, massage the joint , but not so that it causes her pain....
    maybe the warm water would help..... I don't know.... that's what I would try.
    Where was the break....? Did it heal up properly...?

6. slng9

slng9 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Singapore
    I think she is 2 years old. The injury is about 1 month old. She keeps the broken leg close to her body

I am seriously considering taking her to a vet. However in singapore, there are very few avian vets around.

She was eating well before, but i notice she is not eating much these past 2 days.

How do you splint a leg well as my hen keeps removing it?

Will soak her feet in Epson salt water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by