Bantam with CRD

CrazyChickenDude

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2018
So my little Easter Egger hen has had CRD for the past 2-3 weeks. There's a huge freeze coming, and I'm afraid she'll be cold. Is there any medicine / treatment I can do for her? I'll likely bring her inside when the freeze hits, as it'll go down to the teens. She's my treasure, and I'd be absolutely devastated if anything happened to her.
Edit: Symptoms are: Bubbly eyes, sneezing, somewhat inflamed sinuses.
She's acting pretty normal, feisty, eating and drinking, and healthy poop.

Well I don't know all that much you can use as a preventative, but when my birds had sensitive lungs from an illness, I actually used an inhaler to open their air sacks up some. It always seemed to work, but it's more of a last-ditch effort.

Chickens with respiratory diseases will require extra warmth while they are sick. CRD or mycoplasma and coryza can make survivors carriers fo life. Tylosin, doxycycline, oxytetracycline, Denagard, and baytril are effective treatments of symptoms, but they will not cure the disease. Outbreaks may happen again during times of stress. I would close your flock to new birds or for birds to go out of the flock. Testing can identify the exact disease.

In my experience and research, this looks like classic Mycoplasma Gallispeticum (MG/CRD). MG is a bacterial infection of poultry, affecting all different species of birds. This disease is most commonly given from infected parents to the offspring, as the MG bacteria can be transmitted vertically into the egg of developing embryos, making any chicks that hatch, always infected and sick with the bacteria. So please please PLEASE don’t breed from your sickly infected flock. MG is a chronic disease meaning, that you can treat or have the symptoms go away, but whenever the bird gets stressed again, the symptoms will keep coming back or get worse. All “recovered” like birds, remain lifetime long carriers of the MG bacteria, spreading and shedding it through their feces, feathers, dander, respiratory secretions and other bodily fluids. This is a lifetime disease of poultry and is incurable. Since MG is a bacteria, antibiotics can help keep symptoms at bay until next time. I personally don’t recommend you treating with antibiotics unless you have a proper diagnosis of which specific respiratory disease you’re dealing with. There’s a reason why most TSC, Family Farm And Home, Rural King and other farm stores are pulling antibiotics off the shelves, it’s because people aren’t getting their birds tested through their state of agriculture or university. Over use of antibiotics also creates antibiotic resistant bacteria, making the disease worse than before. I suggest treating with safe natural organic remedies and get your bird tested. It’s critical in poultry to get sick birds tested to find out which specific disease they have. Please don’t jump to antibiotics like everyone else says without a proper diagnosis.

Here's more information about MG: https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/protecting-your-flock-what-you-need-to-know-about-mg-ms/

https://afarmgirlinthemaking.com/respiratory-conditions-poultry-mycoplasma-in-chickens/

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom