Bantam with Large Fowl hens?

9SpiceyChickens

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2018
In the coop, Northern CA
Hello! Currently I have 4 LF hens, none of their breeds are especially aggressive with other chickens, and they personally all have chill temperaments. We are moving in March and they’ll have a larger coup, so we’re looking at getting bantams. We’ve come up with a few potential options-
1. Get 2 or 3 bantam hens- will they be able to integrate in with our large sized hens in the new coop? Or is it too likely for them to have problems?
2. Get a bantam rooster- if it’s a rooster would it be less likely to get picked on?
3. Get a bantam rooster and a bantam hen- same questions as above
4. No new chickens

Our new coop is about double the size of our current one, with 24/7 access to our fenced in garden. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

I incorporated 3 bantams in with my standard hen flock this past summer with zero issues. the banties can fly really well, so they would just flutter up 6 feet to the rafters if they were messed with. My fat standard ladies thought they were magical!

I think a roo would be fine too. However, the reverse is not true. No standard roo in with banty hens.

Back
Top Bottom