bantam??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blckbrnfamly, Jan 5, 2010.

1. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    ok I really know nothing, first off....
    A coworker of my husband is trying to give chickens away to us. He says they are bantams..... that's what 'breed' they are! I thought bantam was a term for small, or something like that. He also said that they are very small, full grown and don't lay eggs... are his marble lost in never never land or do I jsut not know anything??
    I didn't get a chance to see them, he says they are brown and have feathering on their feet. Any thoughts?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Could be any feather footed bantam BREED...lol! Bantam refers to size, not breed. Your smart, they're well...maybe just not so much [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Oh, and if they don't lay eggs....likely a bunch of unwanted roos.

4. blckbrnfamly

blckbrnfamly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    Southeast, Arizona
    Quote:That crossed my mind!!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    OK.
    As by American Standard of Perfection a Bantam is:

A diminutive fowl; some being distinct breeds, other being miniatures of a large breed or variety, approximately one-fourth (1/4) to one-fifth (1/5) there weight. Usually ornamental in character, some breeds have considerable merit as egg producers; a few as meat fowl.

They could be a breed called a Booted Bantams.
    http://www.belgianduccle.org/

Chris

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    or it could be your friend doesn't know any better and is just calling them what the feed store called them... and my bantams are almost 8 months old and i have 4 pullets in the bunch, and they are not laying yet...

the feed store out here says they have banties.. all excited.. i say "oh cool.. what kind.." them "they're banty"... that's what kind...."
    in other words.. we don't know chickens well enough to know that there are multiple breeds.... lol... they apparantly order the assorted banties.... i pulled 5 out of the box and got a smooth and a frazzle black cochin, a red cochin, and a pair of d'uccles....

ask for pictures and post them we'll help figure out the breed...
    and if they want to get rid of them, why not take them.. you might find a new love.. lol.. i wasn't sure i'd like the d'uccles, but they've grown on me ssooo much.... and banty cochins are smiles on little legs.... my husband cracks up every time he sees one run across the yard...

*edit*
    because i had no idea when i got my bantams and just had to wait till they got full grown to know, they're slightly bigger in body size than a dove... close to a pigeon.. but they look a little bigger becasue of body structure.. well the cochins do.. the d'uccles look smaller because they're not as fluffy...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Very good point - Could just not be old enough to lay yet, OR they could have stopped laying for the winter (just like in college, they get a winter break too!! [​IMG]) But, Definitely make sure they are not all roos [​IMG] That would stink [​IMG] As someone else said, try to get a few pics to post and we can help you out a little bit more than bantams are small chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by