1. KRAZYMAY

KRAZYMAY Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Belgian d'Uccle Bantam, approx 9 Months

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Started as shivering (But a snow storm was coming....) but noticed that he was shaking his leg even when the rest of them were warmed up and fine. So i started paying close attention to him and noticed him sleeping a lot, always looked sleepy but would perk up if I touched him or messed with food etc. When I took him out of the pin he would walk but, just didn't seem steady, slipping a little, but since he had feathered feet and the garage is concrete and the house has wood floors I thought he was slipping. I brought him in on the rug and he would walk a little but take frequent breaks. Since Yesterday the walks have gotten shorter and less sturdy. Now he really shows no interest to walk even when urged to. When he attempts to walk he has his wings out for strength and will even fall over on one side. When it started it seemed like his right side was weaker but it doesn't appear to be one over the other now. Whatever side he falls over on he can flip back over but it takes more and more energy each time. He is just getting more and more tired. His feet look fine, his crop is emptying, his eyes are clear. When I rub the bottom of his feet he gently pulls them in but this is what he has always done. (Like I said he's a spoiled pet and gets a pedicure now and then), no swollen joints or organs that I can tell, temp normal. He hasn't been crowing but he wasn't a big crower before. He is bright eyed and responds with the "cooey I love you too eyes" when I talk to him. Eating well and seems to be drinking. Does both since I have been going in to hold up each to make sure he is getting some of both. Picks out the veggies I gave him for a treat. No raspy breathing, comb looks fine, not pale, dropping look firm and usual low odor. Its as if he is fine in ever other way but walking and shakes when stands for very long. It is almost like a shiver but one leg will quake when he stands to long and when he was walking yesterday he would hesitate (like nah I don't really need to go over there do I? but he would do it) (the only symptoms he displays is more tired than usual and increasing lack of leg strength, just like if he had an injury but it doesn't appear to be one side or the other, he is now setting on his haunches and he doesn't show any signs of pain??)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Noticed him just not "acting right" no one else could even tell but, he just wasn't as perky as usual, for about 5 days. I moved them into the garage prior to a large snow storm. When I would check on them he would be in the food bowl asleep or napping/nodding off in the pen. They have been in the garage for about 10 days total and this started since he was put in the garage.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None His feathers look a little messy but it is from using his wings for balance.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. The day I moved him into the garage he had jumped up and roosted on a box next to pen when I checked on him a few hours later. So he must have been strong?? I wormed them with wazine one week ago, since they werent very thirsty (due to the blizzard I assume) I trashed the mix the next moring and made a new batch and left it in the pen until the evening. But this is the first time he has ever been wormed. He is usually housed in an eglu and run inside a fenced in back yard with one other roo and three hens, they are moved around the grass and have very clean food/water daily. They are also next to another Iglu with a Rooster and two hens. All Bannies (My pets) But I do have other chickens and fowl on the property but do not use the same equipment etc. These are my "private pets" very tame and well taken care of. None of the other fowl on the property seems to be showing signs either.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. All Purpose Mini pellets, with Manna Pro poultry/showbird conditioner added. Limited once monthy veggies, oatmeal treat since getting off chick starter. Food is fresh as we go thru about 8 bags a week. The food for the backyard birds never comes in contact with the rest of the poultry equipment etc. it is housed in airtight containers next to the dog food in the house so there wouldn't be a rodent issue there.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Since moving him in two days ago: Usual very firm, regular color, haven't had any of the usual few daily "wet" dropping. Every single one for two days has been solid with urates but overall the texture has been a bit more dry or solid than usual and in smaller segments. But the volume has been what I would expect.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Gave Bath, Seperated him from the rest, inside monitoring food and water consumption
    You know just the usual spa bath, warm spot in the house, his own food and water and lots of baby talk.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? pending

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Can do

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Due to cold weather moved them into the garage on newspaper and fenced them in. He is usually housed in an eglu and run inside a fenced in back yard with one other roo and three hens, they are moved around the grass and have very clean food/water daily. They are also next to another Iglu with a Rooster and two hens. All Bannies (My pets) But I do have other chickens and fowl on the property but do not use the same equipment etc. These are my "private pets" very tame and well taken care of. None of the other fowl on the property seems to be showing signs either.
    He is usually housed in an eglu and run inside a fenced in back yard with one other roo and three hens, they are moved around the grass and have very clean food/water daily. They are also next to another Iglu with a Rooster and two hens. All Bannies (My pets) But I do have other chickens and fowl on the property but do not use the same equipment etc. These are my "private pets" very tame and well taken care of. None of the other fowl on the property seems to be showing signs either.

I'm sorry if this is a rambling mess but I wanted to make sure I answered all the questions as I have so often been helped by your board in the past. Please excuse the errors in grammer and spelling I am holding the aforementioned rooster ;> We both appreciate any suggestions or help!

Jennifer in Kansas
    [email protected]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You did great with all the info. you were able to post and making it easy to read. Unfortunately I'm not sure what is going on with your little guy. Since this all started after the temp. move to the garage I'm leaning towards him either eating something he shouldn't have or being extra sensitive to some of the garage smells.

For right now I'd stick with good supportive care--sounds like you have that part covered and have done your research. Even though he's eating well some scrambled eggs for a high protien treat is always good and a couple of drops of poly-visol without iron (infant vitamin drops) could also give him a boost. You don't want to give vits. if they have cocci, but he's a little old for it and it doesn't really sound like it anyhow.

There's not a lot of people on here this time of night (well it's night here, not sure where you're located) but now that I've posted I'll be able to find this thread easily and if haven't gotten some more responses before I leave for work in the morning I'll bump it up during a busier part of the day.

You really did do a great job writing out answers to all the questions and described things really well so the chances of someone coming along who has seen this before and can help are pretty good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Sounds like Merek's Disease. If he were mine I'd kill him immediately. Sometimes [rarely] they will recover but the remain carriers forever.

4. KRAZYMAY

Jun 7, 2009
    Thank you so much for the replies and kind words. I really am quite attached and hate to put him down until I know there is no hope or he is "lethal". I purchased him from the feed store, if it was Mereks would he be the only one ill? He is brite eyed and responds well to me But still is progressing down hill. Could it be cocci??

once again thank you and please know I appreciate all your guidance and suggestions.

anything else I should be looking for?

5. KRAZYMAY

Jun 7, 2009
    I know it is cold but could it be Botulism? Just looking at all angles.

If there is anything that I should give him as a precaution I have most poultry meds around here. I just usually don't medicate until know what is going on but if there is something that won't hurt but would be good to rule out or stop the progression I don't want to wait. Thanks Again!

6. KRAZYMAY

Jun 7, 2009
    I also forgot to add:

he has no visable lesions in the mouth and it does not appear to be a lateral issue. (ie. only one side affected or worst)

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:He's quarantined in the house correct? No reason to go to such harsh measures this quickly then....lets give it a few days. Maybe your little guy can't take the cold weather? Is he better today? Was he standing in snow or on the cold ground when he was shaking his leg? My D'uccles will pick up one foot at a time and stand on one leg with the other leg shivering. They are the only breed I have that does it. I have no idea why! Right now I'm guessing your little guy is run down from the cold and there probably is something else at work here but he'll need some observation time to see what else is going on. Give him some electrolytes and vitamins in his water, scrambled egg and yogurt to eat. Read up on mareks, see if that sounds like his symptoms. Keep us updated!

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Hmmm......you can call the feed store and ask if their chicks are vaccinated for mareks. Most hatcheries do it, but it costs a little per chick and I don't know if feed store orders get vaccinated or not. Ask the feed store, they may know. If you can't get an answer from them try calling the hatchery.

One of the big symptoms for cocci is bloody runny poo. He doesn't have that so I doubt its cocci.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:He's quarantined in the house correct? No reason to go to such harsh measures this quickly then....lets give it a few days. Maybe your little guy can't take the cold weather? Is he better today? Was he standing in snow or on the cold ground when he was shaking his leg? My D'uccles will pick up one foot at a time and stand on one leg with the other leg shivering. They are the only breed I have that does it. I have no idea why! Right now I'm guessing your little guy is run down from the cold and there probably is something else at work here but he'll need some observation time to see what else is going on. Give him some electrolytes and vitamins in his water, scrambled egg and yogurt to eat. Read up on mareks, see if that sounds like his symptoms. Keep us updated!

I agree. My little d'uclle fella does the stand on one leg while the other shakes too, so I'm glad to read of others doing it. And I KNOW he doesn't handle the cold as well as my big girls (he's my only bantam), because he puffs himself up/hunches a LOT when it's really cold. I'm not saying your little bird isn't ill, but it could just be the temps. I would give a few days of babying and then reassess. If he's still acting off, then I'd consider further action.

10. KRAZYMAY

Jun 7, 2009
    Yes he is quarantined banished to the bathroom. I've found that's the best place for the sick guys. We have seven bathrooms so, I just use the one he is in and as much as I pee he is checked on all the time! Plus its nice and warm, easy to clean and even has a an exaust fan and hand soap so I can do my best not to spread it around. His walking is worse today but more like he is just so tired of fighting it, because when I prop him up and talk to him or feed him, he's still perky and he can still flip himself over when put on his back. He isn't walking at all and now when he flips himself over between his food bowls he just falls asleep there, i assume until he gets the energyl to flap to another position, but I haven't had the heart to leave him that way to see. But he is holding his head erect, gripping my finger with his feet when i rub them. He can still move feet/legs freely but he is shaky when flipping to correct himself back up, the kind of shaky you get when youve had an injury and aren't stable. Now he is setting with on honches and using his wings for balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by