bantam ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by wantbantams, Apr 14, 2012.

1. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    I really want some bantam chicks because I heard they are nicer and cuter. Any advice on what would be good to start with and where to get them. We only want around 15. How many eggs will we get. We need help :)

2. ShowYourStuff

ShowYourStuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    I personally love Mille Fluer D'Uccles. They are one of the smartest bantams I have owned, and are very gentle and tend to love cuddles. We bought our first from MyPetChicken, since they have a minimum order of just 5 bantams.

As far as egg laying goes, bantams tend to lay 2-3 a week on average. Find out how many eggs you want a week and divide it by two, and you will know how many you will need to get.

Good luck! :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks!

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ideal Poultry have bantam d'uccle chicks and they don't have a minimum chick order as the minimum price is $25. I'd definitely choose Ideal Poultry.

5. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Ideal is great hatchery. I've had D'uccles before and still have one, but my favorite is Cochins. They are just huge piles of feathers and fluff.

6. SamJacobbe

SamJacobbe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    I have many types of bantams, including: Silkies, Sultans, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, and more. It really depends on what you want from them. All of my Bantams lay at least five eggs a week, but the d'Uccles lay more it seems. Both the d'Uccles and Silkies really do love to set on eggs, my Silkie has gone broody three times and she's only 1, the d'Uccle hen has gone 16 times in her 3 year life, and hatched out more than 50 chicks. The Sultans are very beautiful and the name fits, pinkish skin around the face and very cuddly. For you though, I would say Sultans or d'Uccles, as they both don't go broody as much and produce more eggs than the Silkies. I can give you some pics of all three of them if you want, I happen to have both males and females of both, each has their breeding pair and are soo cute together.

1 person likes this.
  7. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    Please attach pics. I live in ohio... are sultans a good fit for that area?

8. SamJacobbe

SamJacobbe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    Sultans are small and white, laying small white eggs up to four times a week usually. They are super tame and calm and do well in confinement. They aren't the best for where it's cold, so they would need a coop that can handle lower temperatures, but should be fine other than that.

Here is the Sultan rooster:
    [​IMG]

And here is the hen:
    [​IMG]

These are her eggs compared to the other bantams (hers are white):
    [​IMG]

(Sorry the pictures aren't the best. I had taken them at night when they were in their coops. I'll try to take some tomorrow morning after school)

9. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Go for silkies! They are really great!! And i would recomend polish too.

Enjoy!![​IMG]

10. ESherrill43

ESherrill43 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Taylorsville NC
    Cochins would be great for your area there big balls of fluff with feathers on there feet too they lay lots of eggs and are great mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by