Bantams and full size ducks together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kimkan1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. kimkan1

kimkan1 New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Port Orchard, Washington
    I have 4 female ducks 2 runners, 1 Cayuga and 1 khaki Campbell. I would like to add 2 bantams to the flock any thoughts on if it is a good idea?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I would get more than just two bantams, more like the same number or more than your ducks they should get along fine but keep an eye on any drakes you have, because anatomical differences can cause them to kill female chickens if they try to breed.

3. kimkan1

kimkan1 New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Port Orchard, Washington
    They are Bantam ducks that I want to add, they will be unsexed so if I have a Bantam drake could they mate with my full size female ducks? I don't have chickens so that is not a concern. I was just wondering if my female ducks would pick on the Bantam ducks since they would be sharing a pen and coop.

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    ok then I think they will be fine, I have large fowl and bantam chickens in together I would say that ducks should be fine my regular ducks do fine with my bantam chickens

1 person likes this.
  5. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    I have a range from Buff to Mallard and everyone is fine together, except when Tony the buff goes after Ruby the mallard and plucks her little head bald, but that happened to her even when the only boys I had were mallards. She's apparently the most attractive female duck that ever lived, lol.

6. Tongy

Tongy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    I think it depends on your ducks - you won't know until you try! My neighbor had ducks who were very aggressive to any newcomers but I had two ducks in with my hens and introducec two new younger ducks with no problem! Good luck!

7. kimkan1

kimkan1 New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Another question, my duck eggs have had a thin shell I think I need more calcium for them. What is the best supplement for ducks?

8. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    I use oyster shell.

9. kimkan1

kimkan1 New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Port Orchard, Washington
    I bought the oyster shell for chickens, it is really large pieces and they seem to eat around them. Is there something available that is more of a powder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by