Bantams and Full sized hens together??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirljess, May 20, 2012.

1. countrygirljess

countrygirljess In the Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Hi all, I'm completely new to the whole chicken thing. Don't have any yet but want to get some. My question is can you run a flock of full sized birds and bantams together??

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . Yes you can

3. Sparklewina

Sparklewina In the Brooder

May 8, 2012
    Red Bluff, Ca
    I have three standard chickens and then I got a Bantam. I totally underestimated how much smaller she was than them but she did fine. A few weeks later I got two more bantams to try to even things out but Boo, the first bantam, still likes to hang with the big girls and we have had no problems.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have 26 standard/heavy size chickens

6 of those are roos

and I have 1 Bantam Roo that runs the whole show and they all get along just fine.

They won't accept my Silkie hen though so she has to either be inside with us or out in her crate where she can range in peace.

5. ruby

ruby Songster

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have six bantams and sixteen big girls, there was a time of adjustment. The big girls were there years before, but the blended well. I love the silkies, never had any before, but they can run circles around the big girls. The heavy breeds I have are RIR, PBR, and some golden comets, oh and two of the bantams are roosters, No big roosters.... the bantams were a rescue...

6. countrygirljess

countrygirljess In the Brooder

May 19, 2012
    Thanks for all of your help!! I greatly appreciate it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: