Bantams and giants?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Jan 5, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    This spring I was thinking of getting six new chicks. I was going to get a barred rock speckled Sussex and a buff. I was also thinking of getting 3 bantams. I'm not sure which breed, something cool that looks like a game cock. Can these breeds of different size live well together?

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    As long as they're raised together from hatch they should be fine.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a mix....

I added my bantams when they were 20 weeks (from a friend) and my standards were around 10-12 weeks old, they were all the same size at that point! They got on great, and still do - although there is no doubt the bantams rule the roost!

4. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    What are some neat bantams breeds? I'd like some that look like wild jungle fowl.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Old English Game bantams come in all sorts of colors. Roo's sometimes become aggressive.
    From what you describe, this would probably be the closet thing.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey dom.........I have Haleyluna's 14 bantams , a mixed bunch [​IMG] in with all of my standards.........not a problem.......in fact , yesterday I watched one of the bantams ( all hen's) chase my new buff roo (huge !) around the yard and finally ran him back into coop !

7. domromer

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Sounds like bantams and small dog are alike the smaller they are the more moxy they have.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think the japanese bantams are beautiful, but they look like they'd be alot of work with all those long feathers.

Can't help but wonder what mdbucks thinks about keeping bantams with REAL chickens *evil snicker*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by