Bantams and Hatcheries??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Okay so I do Bantams and right now I have 1 Red Pyle Old English Game Roo, 2 Mille Fleur d'Uccle (a hen and a roo), 2 Silver Sebright Hens, 1 Golden Sebright hen (all 3 Sebrights are going to my mother's in a few weeks), 2 Black Tailed White Japanese (again a hen and a roo), 1 Serama chick (who is a hen), tomorrow I am getting her 2 older sisters, and the 4 Silkie chicks....

I am looking for another breed to add to my showing/breeding collection and I am going through a couple different breeds and going through a couple of online hatcheries and I just wanted to know what breeds of Bantams you prefer and what online hatcheries are the best?

TIA!!

2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Well, hatchery birds are not show quality but I love my mille fleur D'Uccle. She is very friendly and lets me pick her up and cuddle with her [​IMG] Plus they are very gorgeous
    Edit: I realized you already have D'Uccle's but also Seramas are very pretty too and the roosters are adorable!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I got a very nice show quality Mille Fleur d'Uccle Cockerel from a hatcherie. He was just judged last week and the judge had alot of nice things to say about him but he didnt place because he was the youngest bird at the show! but I spoke with the judge afterwards and he said the only thing he hoped I would do is wait a couple more months to show him again to give him time to get his true color in!

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I like the Old English Game Bantams; they just come in so many different varieties(I'm partial to the Quail variety myself) and are so lively, and if hand-raised, the hens tend to be very friendly. I had one hen that would fly up onto my shoulder and sit and just trill at me (she would scream at me to give her treats, though, literally; it sounded like she was being tortured. [​IMG] The roosters can be a mixed bag temperament wise; we used to have a really nice Silver Duckwing rooster. The Black-Tailed Red I have now has major mood swings. Some days he wants to attack my feet; some days he acts like he couldn't care less. I have a Quail rooster growing with my last order of chicks, and I hope he doesn't develop the attitude my other one has. I didn't even raise the other rooster; he was practically grown when I got him, but his ankle biting tendencies didn't show until late last winter/early this spring. He was fine before that.

I also like the look of d'Uccles, but I don't have any (maybe in the future). I also like the funny look of the Modern Game Bantams with their insanely long legs (I want some of them one day, too).

I also have one Cochin Bantam hen who is very tame, but the rooster I had was a sneak attacker. At least my Old English rooster is blatant when he wants to attack my feet; it's mildly annoying because he was the rooster I got to replace the sneaky Cochin rooster.

The last chicks I ordered came from Ideal, and they seem to have the biggest choice bantam-wise; they have so many different varieties in the game bantams! I was looking at their bantam breeds and varieties on their site, and I was like [​IMG] . I hope to order some d'Uccles, Modern Games, and some more Old English Games in the future from them, maybe some bantam cochins, too. Gah, the chicks I have now are only 4 weeks old, and I'm already thinking of my next batch of chicks! Of course, I can reason that since my last order was all standards with only 2 bantams, I must have more bantam chicks to keep those company when they get older. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by